Many Intel Bay Trail Devices Have Been Borked On Linux For The Past Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Many Intel Bay Trail Devices Have Been Borked On Linux For The Past Year

Phoronix: Many Intel Bay Trail Devices Have Been Borked On Linux For The Past Year

To many users, Intel's codename of Bay Trail for the recent Atom SoCs would be more accurate if it was named Bay Fail...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wouldn't it be great if the Linux kernel was open source and we could use git bisect to locate the change that caused the bug?

Comment

It was originally by one of the people and that's when it tracked to the i915 driver causing behavior change.

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
      Wouldn't it be great if the Linux kernel was open source and we could use git bisect to locate the change that caused the bug?
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I would love to see you bisect random freezes.

Comment

Intel seriously screwed up Bay Trail longer than a year ago. I tried setting up Linux one one of the cheaper Asus EEE PCs based on Bay Trail and that was easily the worst linux experience I ever had. Constant freezing, wifi would drop, no audio, touchpad was glitchy, required a 32-bit EFI, SD card required a few commands to get working, GPU acceleration didn't seem to work, and so on. I'm not sure if any of this has improved (I doubt it). I wasn't really sure who was to blame here, because Asus is notoriously Linux-unfriendly, but it seems Intel is the real problem here.

Comment

Wouldn't it be great if you stopped talking out your ass?

Comment

Well, one has to see the benefits: Your setup is checked regularly that it boots everything fine.

Sorry, just the comment of a happy Haswell laptop owner (i7-4712MQ) that from times to times freezes X and spits about a kernel oops in i915 whining about drm page flips taking to long. Or perhaps it's my fault because I have external displays connected to my laptop, ...

Comment

Originally posted by yacc143 View Post
                Well, one has to see the benefits: Your setup is checked regularly that it boots everything fine.

Sorry, just the comment of a happy Haswell laptop owner (i7-4712MQ) that from times to times freezes X and spits about a kernel oops in i915 whining about drm page flips taking to long. Or perhaps it's my fault because I have external displays connected to my laptop, ...
                Kernel, Mesa, X version?

I've got a haswell i7 quad (mobile thinkpad t440p) with two external 1080p displays that is actually quite stable, as long as I leave it in the dock.... My only issues are when I dock/undock while the laptop is suspended (when it wakes up, things just hang).

I'm currently running Ubuntu 15.10 (X 1.17), Mesa from git, and kernel 4.5.0rc1. Note that kernel 4.4 was incredibly unstable for me, and 4.3 may have been as well. I believe that 4.2 was ok, but I haven't ran it in a while (even though its the default for my distro).

Comment

My own experience with Intel graphics isn't too great: You can't use any modern Linux distro on a 5 year old laptop I have here because rendering a composited desktop can cause Xorg to freeze (updated to 14.04 from Ubuntu 12.04, bug report was a few years old without any signs of Intel working on it. A passively cooled low end AMD card fixed the issue.). And my haswell laptop is only completely stable since a few months ago.

Comment

This is a terrible bug and has basically made my Dell Inspiron 3000 unusable with linux. It is really frustrating because I have kernel experience, but this bug seems so random and not related to the kernel so I didn't know how to track it down. Eventually I went out and bought a HP Envy 13 which works flawlessly. Too bad AMD does not have a viable CPU right now in the mobile space.

Comment

Working...
                    X