OwnCloud 9.0 Released As Latest Version Of Open-Source Dropbox Alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OwnCloud 9.0 Released As Latest Version Of Open-Source Dropbox Alternative

Phoronix: OwnCloud 9.0 Released As Latest Version Of Open-Source Dropbox Alternative

OwnCloud 9.0 has been released today as "the biggest and most important ownCloud release so far with a ton of performance improvements, bug fixes, cleanup but also new features."..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"OwnCloud 9.0 Released As Latest Version Of Open-Source Dropbox Alternative"

Except it isn't open source. It's open core. The best stuff is closed, and only available in the close source, paid version.

Open source software has gained its significant foothold because the community development model works everywhere. Its momentum has moved it into the underlying infrastructure of some of the most sophisticated web scale companies, like Facebook and Google. Open source underpinnings now drive many of the most significant advances in the worlds of cloud and big data.

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
      "OwnCloud 9.0 Released As Latest Version Of Open-Source Dropbox Alternative"

Except it isn't open source. It's open core. The best stuff is closed, and only available in the close source, paid version.

https://www.redhat.com/en/about/blog...hould-you-care
      Didn't know it! Which parts are closed?

Comment

Hopefully they have fixed the problems with the contact app. Also, does anybody know how to upgrade to 9.0 from 8.2.2? All documentation is 404 at the moment.

Comment

Have been using Syncthing for the past couple of months. Incredibly nice, still needs some polish but works very well and uses much less resources than the dropbox client. The way it works is pretty cool aswell. I don't need all those extra features that ownCloud has, i just want file synchronization that is reliable and easy to use.

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post
            Have been using Syncthing for the past couple of months. Incredibly nice, still needs some polish but works very well and uses much less resources than the dropbox client. The way it works is pretty cool aswell. I don't need all those extra features that ownCloud has, i just want file synchronization that is reliable and easy to use.
            I also find Syncthing speeds to be much faster than owncloud since it does not rely on any central server (even though that central server is under your control). All clients use their upload bandwidth like in BitTorrent.

Comment

I didn't know it wasn't fully open source. We use Kloudspeaker at our company. It's not as fancy or feature rich but it does the job and is near perfect for what we need.

Comment

If you rely on contacts/calendar/tasks syncing to Android - do not upgrade! Everything is incredibly broken. I had to downgrade to 8.2.3 and use contacts and calendar from 'owncloudarchive' GitHub repo. Now everything is great, and I intend to leave it this way for some time.

Comment

Originally posted by pejakm View Post
                  If you rely on contacts/calendar/tasks syncing to Android - do not upgrade! Everything is incredibly broken. I had to downgrade to 8.2.3 and use contacts and calendar from 'owncloudarchive' GitHub repo. Now everything is great, and I intend to leave it this way for some time.
                  Darn, do you have some examples or bug tracker entries? I really hoped they would fix this mess with the 9er release.

Comment

Meanwhile, a really useful/killer feature is still pending from being implemented since 2013 ... https://github.com/owncloud/client/issues/230

Comment

Working...
                    X