Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benchmarking The Lightweight, Musl-Based Alpine Linux

Phoronix: Benchmarking The Lightweight, Musl-Based Alpine Linux

Following the KaOS and Void Linux benchmarking as part of our next big Linux distribution comparison was firing up Alpine Linux for some benchmarking...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Awesome! Alpine is my favourite distro. I have just not had the guts/motivation to switch to it from Arch for daily use yet

Comment

musl busybox distros intended not for xeons, but for 4 megabyte ram routers

Comment

Alpine offers the option of sticking w/ just busybox... or going the full mile and installing many of the "standard" non-busybox items as you wish.

Comment

If be surprised if this isn't significantly slower in many operations as it includes grsecurity/pax.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
            If be surprised if this isn't significantly slower in many operations as it includes grsecurity/pax.
            Sure but replacing the kernel is a no brainer. I use 4.4 with Alpine.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

is there an up-to-date vanilla kernel in the repos? Last time I tried Alpine on my laptop I had some issues with the grsec kernel

Comment

OK. For me, that's one of its biggest selling points as memory is cheap but security isn't. I was only pointing out that benchmarks won't tell you the whole story, and aren't, in themselves, a compelling way to look at Alpine.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post

OK. For me, that's one of its biggest selling points as memory is cheap but security isn't. I was only pointing out that benchmarks won't tell you the whole story, and aren't, in themselves, a compelling way to look at Alpine.
                  Fair enough. I didn't think that people use Alpine mainly for security reasons. I use it because the lack of bloat.

Comment

Fair enough. I didn't think that people use Alpine mainly for security reasons. I use it because the lack of bloat.
                    Hmmph. I didn't realise that.
                    That being the case, I'd think they'd just drop the grsec/pax patches since they certainly don't help make the system any trimmer and definitely impose CPU overhead (sometimes quite a bit). Also, user namespaces might be good enough (that's the primary sandbox method that servo uses... they've done a bit of work with seccomp but don't seem to like its usability).

Comment

Working...
                    X