Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Vulkan Programming Guide Is Now 25% Off

Phoronix: The Vulkan Programming Guide Is Now 25% Off

For those preferring a physical book for learning new APIs, the official Vulkan programming guide book is now 25% off...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They forgot to remove OpenGL from the illustration on the cover...

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
      YMMD. lol

However, the description says
      "The next generation specification of OpenGL, Vulkan has been redesigned from the ground up, giving applications direct control over GPU acceleration for unprecedented performance and predictability. Vulkan Programming Guideis the essential, authoritative reference to this new standard, for graphics programmers at all levels of experience, in any Vulkan environment, on any platform."
      So Vulkan is just an extended form of OpenGL it seems.

Comment

August? I cant wait that long!
        *continues reading Vulkan specs*

If anyone has some links to online tutorials and stuff,
        I would like to know!

Comment

Originally posted by siavashserver
          I would wait for Vulkan SuperBible, but here you go: https://github.com/vinjn/awesome-vulkan
          Just by looking at that hello world example makes me want to stick to oGL forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by norsetto View Post

Just by looking at that hello world example makes me want to stick to oGL forever ...
            Why? It is mostly boilerplate stuff, wrap it and reuse.

I find the more explicit control much better, no more guess games about what the driver is up to.

Comment

Originally posted by norsetto View Post

I imagine that load of DirectX apologists will start using Vulkan "because it isn't OpenGL but still has all the benefits of OpenGL" but then end up just writing their software using the OpenGL API anyway for simplicity (perhaps as a layer ontop of Vulkan). This is a very good day for the industry. OpenGL has effectively won

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
                ... or they don't have the cover finalized, so it has a fairly obvious placeholder.

Comment

They keep updating the specs, how does one finalize a book on an API that is not finalized? When does the book come out?

Comment

Originally posted by ddriver View Post
                    They keep updating the specs, how does one finalize a book on an API that is not finalized? When does the book come out?
                    The spec is finalized. The updates are merely bug fixes or extremely minor changes. Nothing drastic has changed since the spec was released.

Comment

Working...
                    X