Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Improvements To GNOME's Nautilus 3.20 FIle Manager

Phoronix: The Improvements To GNOME's Nautilus 3.20 FIle Manager

With the UI freeze being imminent for GNOME 3.20, we will soon have a good idea for how this desktop environment update due out next month will look. To get started, here's a look at the Nautilus 3.20 file manager changes for this six-month GNOME update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The icon size for files and folders are absurdly large.

Comment

The use of the phrase, "...since the desktop is still important for some users..." in Soriano's post is not terribly encouraging.

Canonical has a change to get people using Unity on phones and tablets. Gnome and KDE will never pull that off. If they want people to use Gnome (or KDE) on small-form devices, they should create something new.

[EDIT: He's added an explanation he's referring to icons on the desktop, not the "desktop" as a concept.]
      Last edited by buzzrobot; 08 February 2016, 08:49 AM.

Comment

I love Gnome 3.x, love nautilus. But when are we receiving the option to right click and create a new file option?.....
        This shit is ridiculous that they do not have support for creation of new files since release 3.0...

Comment

Other under the hood fixes include showing the free space in the other places view
          We will be able to see free space?! Wow. Too experimental for my taste, gnome pls stop.
          Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          That is probably freudian ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
          Last edited by magika; 08 February 2016, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313
            Have you tried the zoom slider?

Originally posted by cryptoahash View Post
            I love Gnome 3.x, love nautilus. But when are we receiving the option to right click and create a new file option?.....
            This shit is ridiculous that they do not have support for creation of new files since release 3.0...
            Drop an empty file in ~/Templates which you call "New file" or whatever you want. This has been possible since as long as I can remember.

Comment

...when are we receiving the option to right click and create a new file option?
              You need to add the files you want in ~/Templates. Ex. New Text Document.txt, New Write Document.odt, Etc....

I wish they made this clear earlier but it allows you to customize it more imo. You could also add content in the document, ex. Basic html page if you do web development.

Comment

Just found the answer on the comment section of Soriano's blog.
                Simply create an new file in Templates folder in your home dir (it can also contain some default content) and you get a New Document option in your right click menu!
                Yeah I was pretty surprised too. The distros should at least put an empty text file there by default.

Comment

Or split view.
                  Na, who am I kidding. That would be, like, too useful.

Comment

Gnome is becoming update after update a Mobile/Tablet friendly Desktop Environment, which sucks in my opinion

Comment

Working...
                    X