Jono Bacon Thinks About A Hybrid Desktop With GNOME Shell Atop Mac OS X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jono Bacon Thinks About A Hybrid Desktop With GNOME Shell Atop Mac OS X

Phoronix: Jono Bacon Thinks About A Hybrid Desktop With GNOME Shell Atop Mac OS X

Jono Bacon, the former Ubuntu Community Manager who is currently employed by GitHub, has proposed a hypothetical new open-source project that effectively comes down to bringing the Linux user-space -- complete with the GNOME Shell -- over to Mac OS X...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

He smokes the best stuff i am sure.

Comment

It's not the worst idea, from a purely marketing viewpoint.
      Not sure it would catch on though or whether it's really worth the ton of work.

Comment

Back in the old days there were efforts to port Gnome and KDE to Windows, but very few people were interested. I doubt anything has changed since.

Comment

For me, this would be fantastic. I'd love to try out a Mac without having to learn a new OS, and while my favorite desktop is Unity, I would probably enjoy Gnome as well.

Comment

things like systemd are not available on mac, so I dont know if there are enough software core components to achieve this. Non the less, X11.org runs fine on Mac OS X, so I think there should be an option.

Comment

As if they haven't damaged the Linux world enough, now the insanity has to be carried over to the Mac world as well. Go for it! The space ship has been build. Time to lift off!

Comment

I think this is an intriguing idea.

I think Apple still makes X available for Macs. Used to be shipped on the install disks.

Setting this up as a one-click option to OS X would encourage its acceptance: Click to switch to Gnome, click to go back to OS X.

Packaging the entire thing as a single installable OS X package means users could get a Gnome/Linux desktop without installing Linux on a Mac. OS X uses Bash, and the usual Unix tool set is there.

Comment

Completely bizarre. The Linux DEs are its biggest weak point, why would you want to run them elsewhere?

It's amazing how many in the community are so out of touch with reality. It explains why we never get anywhere.

Comment

Yea true and I would be rather interested in the vice versa. A open OSX compatible desktop on Linux or Darwin.

Comment

Working...
                    X