Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU Driver Said To Be Much Faster With Linux 4.5-rc2 Kernel

Phoronix: AMDGPU Driver Said To Be Much Faster With Linux 4.5-rc2 Kernel

With Linux 4.5-rc2 that was released last night, the new AMDGPU DRM driver is supposedly much faster compared to last week's 4.5-rc1 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ugh, If only mesa OpenGL implementation can catch up...

Comment

It's not faster, you'll just get the same speed as everyone else. ;-)

Did you see my suggestions?
      1) Do you have the latest firmware? It is in http://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/linux-firmware, http://people.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/radeon_ucode/ is deprecated and old now.
      2) It has a dual BIOS slots in hardware. Try flipping the switch and boot up with the other BIOS.

Saw that Alex suggested this also:

Comment

Originally posted by abu_shawarib View Post
        Ugh, If only mesa OpenGL implementation can catch up...
        Not sure I understand. The changes mentioned here are in power management, which would make clocks go faster and so Mesa would automatically get faster as well.

Obviously this would only happen if the current performance problems are related to clocks, which we're not sure of yet.
        Last edited by bridgman; 01 February 2016, 01:52 PM.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Not sure I understand. The changes mentioned here are in power management, which would make clocks go faster and so Mesa would automatically get faster as well.

Obviously this would only happen if the current performance problems are related to clocks, which we're not sure of yet.
          I guess he is referring to missing OpenGL extensions to reach latest version support.

Comment

Originally posted by blackshard View Post

I guess he is referring to missing OpenGL extensions to reach latest version support.
            Well it's catching up it only takes some time.
            Give it a year and see where we are then.

Comment

Working...
            X