Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Experiences with Wasteland 2: Director's Cut On Linux

Phoronix: My Experiences with Wasteland 2: Director's Cut On Linux

Eric Griffith, our former summer intern, is back this weekend writing about his experiences with enjoying Wasteland 2: Director's Cut on Linux. He's been gaming on the open-source drivers with Fedora 23. While he enjoys the game, some problems were encountered on Linux that he found it worthwhile writing about even though this title is already a few months old.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I bought the game on Steam a while back but haven't played it yet. This article made me check my own /etc/security/limits.conf file, but it has no set limits for anything.

Using Manjaro, I suspect the limit isn't as the article suggest, Linux specific. But instead specific for Fedora and possibly other, but not all, distros.

Comment

I'm curious, why does a game need more than 4000 files open at the same time? Or is there some gargabe collector in the engine which should close unneeded files?

Comment

Michael or anybody else
        if you got time, can you try to benchmark the pcie performance with nouveau on 4.4 and 4.5 (with the new pcie patches) on a kepler card with working 8.0 GT/s pcie and 0f pstate? I got some unusual speed up in the world map with mine GTX 770m through prime, but I would also like to know if there are speed ups on desktop systems. The same would go for the talos principle (and verify with lspci -vv that LnkSta lists 8.0 or 5.0 for the nvidia gpu with 4.5).

Usually those pcie patches souldn't effect opengl performance for any game, and on prime system just a tiny bit, but for those I saw up to 50% speed improvements.

Anyway, if that game or the talos principle has an automatic benchmark feature (i know the latter has one ingame) it may be worth to add those for this, if it makes any difference.

Comment

When DC first came out the game had issues running in fullscreen without blackscreen/crashing. The gameplay had numerous crashes also.

Comment

Originally posted by Beherit View Post
            I bought the game on Steam a while back but haven't played it yet. This article made me check my own /etc/security/limits.conf file, but it has no set limits for anything.

Using Manjaro, I suspect the limit isn't as the article suggest, Linux specific. But instead specific for Fedora and possibly other, but not all, distros.
            There's a default somewhere, `ulimit -Sn` will reveal it. The limit is not in place because the system cannot open more files, but because you want a per user limit.
            It's not rocket science, but it's pretty confusing the first time you hit this limit and don't know about it.

Comment

I played the original version of the game on linux with no problems. My limits.conf is also empty (Debian), so yeah.. That seems to be an odd RedHat issue.

Comment

I use Arch and it has the same issue, manjaro being based on arch probably does too.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

I played the original version of the game on linux with no problems. My limits.conf is also empty (Debian), so yeah.. That seems to be an odd RedHat issue.
                  Same on arch, it would rather seem to be a bug in the game causing it t re-open files again and again without closing.

Comment

doubtless i am missing some subtleties here but i'm on Mint 17.x and have played both Wasteland 2 and Divinity: Original Sin EE without issues. using the proprietary GeForce drivers so maybe that's it. both are great games!

W2 has a far better story to it and creates a genuinely excellent "man in the rubble" atmosphere but has only a decent UI, not a show-stopper but it does take some getting used to.

DOSEE is a bit thin on story and atmosphere but is quite a bit easier to get into and has a comparatively excellent UI. seems a few features are missing when using the Steam Controller though so occasionally there's a bit of flipping back and forth between controller and keyboard-mouse in order to get the necessary done. sadly that requires exiting and restarting the game.

Comment

Working...
                    X