Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Blogs About The Beauty Of Vulkan

Phoronix: NVIDIA Blogs About The Beauty Of Vulkan

A NVIDIA engineer has penned a post about engaging with Vulkan and how this soon-to-be-released graphics API is great going forward...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Jeez, Nvidia fucking Vulkan up even before it is released.

I just hope these "extensions" will never be accepted into Vulkan spec.

Comment

Hmm everything seems good, but I don' like that said about : " We will support consuming GLSL shader strings directly and not having to use SPIR-V."

Comment

Originally posted by raonlinux View Post
        Hmm everything seems good, but I don' like that said about : " We will support consuming GLSL shader strings directly and not having to use SPIR-V."

You know, when SPIR-V first showed up there were all kinds of conspiracy theories floating around about how it was only there so evil companies like Nvidia could stop you from reading shader source code*. Now that Nvidia gives you an option to use SPIR-V or do it the old fashioned way... they are evil too. No matter what they do somebody will whine.

* Having actually read some sample shader source code that I've dug out of my steam folder, it's so ugly that maybe it would be a good thing if you couldn't read it anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post

I just hope these "extensions" will never be accepted into Vulkan spec.
          Actually, these extensions are just for Vulkan being used inside OpenGL:
          Nvidia are talking about Vulkan a little more now, which is really good to see. Looks like they will have a little bit of support for it on day-zero too.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post

Yeah, so Nvidia shouldn't be allowed to make contributions to an open standard. That sounds really innovative. I'm sure you would say the exact same thing about AMD, and that you had zero problems when AMD came out with Mantle, which was 100% proprietary and only ever ran on Windows.
            Last edited by chuckula; 15 January 2016, 10:11 AM.

Comment

I hope the timing of this blog, combined with the fact next week there is Vulkan event in Paris, are indicators it will be released next week, not in March before GDC...

Comment

Originally posted by mannerov View Post
                I hope the timing of this blog, combined with the fact next week there is Vulkan event in Paris, are indicators it will be released next week, not in March before GDC...
                Don't count on it.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

So they have a GLSL-to-SPIRV translator.

Why not open that up?

(because it's nvidia)

Comment

It is really meant to be the least "hassle" way for developers to use Vulkan
                    You can also use the open https://github.com/google/shaderc
                    Last edited by pixeljetstream; 15 January 2016, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X