Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Everyone Who Ordered A Jolla Tablet Will Receive One

Phoronix: Not Everyone Who Ordered A Jolla Tablet Will Receive One

While Jolla was saved last month by a fresh round of financing, even now not everyone who backed the Jolla Tablet project on IndieGoGo will be receiving a tablet...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The bad news here is that we are not able to complete the production to fulfill all contributions. In other words, all of our backers will not get a Jolla Tablet. However, you can be sure you will not end up empty handed. We might even have some positive surprises in stock for you. But more on that will follow, feel free to speculate!
    There has literally never been a disaster this bad in crowdfunded hardware. Every other major multi-million dollar production project at least shipped. Could there be a lawsuit? They are headquartered in Finland. I mean, thousands of people paid them hundreds of dollars for physical hardware. This is akin to how some kickstarters are prosecuted for not fulfilling backer rewards, since they made the tablet a reward perk.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post

There has literally never been a disaster this bad in crowdfunded hardware. Every other major multi-million dollar production project at least shipped. Could there be a lawsuit? They are headquartered in Finland. I mean, thousands of people paid them hundreds of dollars for physical hardware. This is akin to how some kickstarters are prosecuted for not fulfilling backer rewards, since they made the tablet a reward perk.
      The risk disclosure for any crowdfunding campaign is that you basically have to kiss your money good bye. Crowdfunding is always extremely risky. They aren't selling you anything on Kickstarter.

Comment

In other words, all of our backers will not get a Jolla Tablet.

That's definitely not just other words but completely different meaning as well.

Comment

There has literally never been a disaster this bad in crowdfunded hardware. Every other major multi-million dollar production project at least shipped.
          I don't think you are right (unless you refuse to convert GBP to USD): http://www.bbc.com/news/34787404

Comment

Originally posted by https://blog.jolla.com/new-years-greetings-jolla/
            In other words, all of our backers will not get a Jolla Tablet. However, you can be sure you will not end up empty handed. We might even have some positive surprises in stock for you. But more on that will follow, feel free to speculate!
            The ones that doesn't get the tablet might get something else.
            Lets speculate it might be an new device maybe even an updated tablet by some other manufacture with Sailfish OS.
            They say some of you will not get a Jolla Tablet they doesn't say that they won't get any tablet.
            Jolla needs their supporters and they know it so the can't fuck there users over more then late delivery, i think they will fix something that makes people happy.
            It doesn't surprise me that they can't deliver all the tablets when the manufacturer has sold many of them loaded with android and it would cost to much to make a new small batch.
            Jolla isn't as big as some of you might think and i am pretty sure the samsung smartphones has more cleaning personnel then jolla has total personnel.

Comment

What is the issue with Tablet Production+Selling?
              Or is it only that Jolla made such mistakes with the Smartphone so that the Tablet is no to fail because of that?

Kde failed to deliver the Tablet, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
                The ones that doesn't get the tablet might get something else.
                Lets speculate it might be an new device maybe even an updated tablet by some other manufacture with Sailfish OS.
                They say some of you will not get a Jolla Tablet they doesn't say that they won't get any tablet.
                Jolla needs their supporters and they know it so the can't fuck there users over more then late delivery, i think they will fix something that makes people happy.
                It doesn't surprise me that they can't deliver all the tablets when the manufacturer has sold many of them loaded with android and it would cost to much to make a new small batch.
                Jolla isn't as big as some of you might think and i am pretty sure the samsung smartphones has more cleaning personnel then jolla has total personnel.
                Of course they do, because Samsung is far far far far far more than a smartphone company, Samsung like most major Asian corporations is a a zaibatsu which means that they do everything from chemicals to consumer electronics to heavy construction equipment, ship building and life insurance, even running hotels, and so so very much more. If you can think of a part of the economy, Samsung probably has their claws into it for South Korea.

As to Jolla what they did was certainly unethical, because they got greedy and decided to spend all of their money on developing software as opposed to fulfilling their obligations to their backers first and then focusing on developing the software. Which... is either going to make them or break them because they are burning a lot of the good will that they had. Regardless they can't pull this stunt again and hope to survive.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                  As to Jolla what they did was certainly unethical, because they got greedy and decided to spend all of their money on developing software as opposed to fulfilling their obligations to their backers first and then focusing on developing the software. Which... is either going to make them or break them because they are burning a lot of the good will that they had. Regardless they can't pull this stunt again and hope to survive.
                  But I funded tablet because of software not hardware. But yeah, they don't care about these few backers and fans - it's not theirs target audience. They stated it several times. Both phone and tablet was more fan side project for them.

Comment

I had high hopes for Jolla but now wouldn't buy anything from them as long as current management is in place. Sadly the word crooks come to mind when thinking about what is happening here.

Comment

Working...
                    X