Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 Was A Stellar Year For Linux Gaming

Phoronix: 2015 Was A Stellar Year For Linux Gaming

This year was a stellar year for Linux gaming with seeing hundreds of new native game releases and more...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I find this headline a bit funny. I don't play games much (if at all), but by reading Phoronix almost daily hoping something interesting pops up about CPU or IO scheduling, filesystems, a hardware review or two and the like I also naturally end up reading some of the gaming articles. My impression is that this have gone down the drain based on the headlines , however it's nice to see that it obviously have not.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Though computer games on Linux will take a few years to fully take off the process is already in motion. I don't know whether it'll be Android or Steam OS but the hardware will ultimately become commoditised IMO. That'll sadly mean goodbye to the games console as an "interesting piece of electronics" and hello to "PC in a console-shaped box".

Whether Microsoft can glue Xbox One and the Desktop Windows Store into a Steam Machine competitor first... who knows? I'm sure that Valve can see the risk/opportunity.

Comment

The Direct X Box One now allows streaming from Direct X Box One to Windows 10 Compatible PC. That's right in 2015 Streaming from poor hardware to your superior PC hardware.

Microsoft is run by chimps with keyboards, they lack the intelligence required to make Windows+Direct X Box a success. Games For Windows Live - remember what a huge hit that was! And don't forget Zune either!

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
          The Direct X Box One now allows streaming from Direct X Box One to Windows 10 Compatible PC. That's right in 2015 Streaming from poor hardware to your superior PC hardware.

Microsoft is run by chimps with keyboards, they lack the intelligence required to make Windows+Direct X Box a success. Games For Windows Live - remember what a huge hit that was! And don't forget Zune either!
          And you don't think Linus travolds and his crew isn't a bunch of chimps? A little hypocritical comment lol.

Comment

lets hope 2016 is even better.

I expect more AAA titles (many promised for 2015) and also new titles that will offer Vulkan support.

Comment

I've had to drop Linux for gaming completely because the AMD drivers are just not up to my standards (which are around where the Nvidia closed-source drivers are, maybe a tad higher due to vsync issues under Linux for some games).

Comment

Working...
              X