Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Is Working On Miracast (HDMI Over Wireless) For Linux

Phoronix: Intel Is Working On Miracast (HDMI Over Wireless) For Linux

Developers at Intel are working on Miracast support for X.Org and Wayland on Linux to transmit HDMI signals over wireless for desktop mirroring, etc...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ubuntu developers are considering something similar in order to support external displays via wifi for phones with no hardware support for external displays. Convergent BQ phone next year will have hardware support for external displays.

Comment

I seriously doubt that this is HDMI over wifi unless wifi has gotten a lot faster lately. 1080px60 is about 3Gbit.

Comment

Originally posted by kenjo View Post
        I seriously doubt that this is HDMI over wifi unless wifi has gotten a lot faster lately. 1080px60 is about 3Gbit.
        Resolution is lower on the Wii U (480p) but the controller works perfectly smooth with 0 lag or artifact. And it was out in 2012.

So basically they just have to increase the flux to 1080p a few years after, I see no technical problem here.

Comment

Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Is there anything like that for DisplayPort? HDMI is a dead end really.

Comment

Well keep in mind it's probably heavily compressed. Doing uncompressed HD video over wifi, as you stated, just isn't realistic.
              Last edited by schmidtbag; 04 December 2015, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                Well keep in mind it's probably heavily compressed. Doing uncompressed HD video over wifi, as you stated, just isn't realistic and the technology wouldn't give Intel any leverage. In other words, since Intel is designing this, they can use whatever internal technology they want to make this run smooth and at a low latency.

So its noting like HDMI then, its simply a streaming video. that is its like VNC or remote desktop minus the keyboard and mouse.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                  Is there anything like that for DisplayPort? HDMI is a dead end really.

Miracast isn't really HDMI over Wifi. I would describe it as MP4 over Wifi. The audio and video data is compressed with H.264 and AAC and the container format is adapted for Wifi.

Comment

So its noting like HDMI then, its simply a streaming video. that is its like VNC or remote desktop minus the keyboard and mouse.
                    Yes, plus the discovery and pairing mechanism.

Comment

Working...
                    X