Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD A10-8700P "Carrizo" Linux Laptop Testing

Phoronix: AMD A10-8700P "Carrizo" Linux Laptop Testing

As a follow up to What Sub-$500 Laptops Are You Most Interested In For Linux?, one of them has been chosen so far and will satisfy the many from the dozens of comments wanting to see an AMD Carrizo laptop tested under Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Awesome news cant wait to see some performance numbers and find out how the A10-8700P performs under linux

Comment

I would like to know why the mesa OSS stack resticts the GPU to HEVC Main. (I need Main 10!) Marketing showed something different for Windows, they especially mentioned a non hybrid decode approach (against Broadwell at that time), all fake it seems. Want to see vdpauinfo from Carrzio, Fiji and Tonga!

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...radeon_video.c
      Last edited by Kano; 29 November 2015, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Nice, these were some that I considered getting myself. I ended up going for a Broadwell HP laptop with Ubuntu preinstalled.

Speaking of which, it would be nice to see a review of some laptops that come with Linux preinstalled. What distributions they ship with, what versions, what software is preinstalled on them, whether everything truly works right etc.

Comment

According to Notebookcheck.net the AMD SoC in question only comes with R6 graphics. Michael, is there a way you could verify and update the article if this is the case?

Comment

I wish there had no money to be spent for that pesky spyware called Windows 10.
            Other than that this will likely be interesting.
            Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
              I wish there had no money to be spent for that pesky spyware called Windows 10.
              Other than that this will likely be interesting.
              Provides for interesting Windows 10 vs. Linux benchmarks. Plus I'm reselling these laptops to a friend when I'm done testing them.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Always get dual channel ram for apu, it will nearly double the gpu performance!

Comment

Originally posted by sunnystormy View Post
                  According to Notebookcheck.net the AMD SoC in question only comes with R6 graphics.
                  Correct. The R7 graphics is only in the FX-8800P which has 512 shaders as opposed to the R6 in the A10 that has 384 shaders (Basically 2 graphics cores less than the FX)
                  All in all I guess the results will mirror notebookcheck's results. The A10 will have better graphics performance than the i5 while it will be slower in CPU bound tests. I'm not sure what tests are HSA optimized on Linux though. That would be interesting to see. Michael is the Toshiba's 8GB ram in dual channel? Lots of people have reported that high frequency RAM in dual channel mode is the way to go with carrizo if you dont want the R6/R7 gpiu cores bottlenecked
                  Last edited by zakhrov; 29 November 2015, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zakhrov View Post
                    Awesome news cant wait to see some performance numbers and find out how the A10-8700P performs under linux

Also i heard that OEM vendors are locking down the TDP the processor would run at. Read similar reports about HP envy 15z. Lets see how this one goes. If similar reports keep floating i will wait AMD's zen architecture

Comment

Working...
                    X