Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU With PowerPlay Compared To AMD's Catalyst Linux Driver

Phoronix: AMDGPU With PowerPlay Compared To AMD's Catalyst Linux Driver

With earlier today showing new OpenGL performance numbers for how the Nouveau driver with working re-clocking compared to NVIDIA's proprietary driver, here are some benchmarks to show how the AMDGPU kernel DRM driver with PowerPlay patches compare to AMD's Catalyst driver for the R9 285 (Tonga) and R9 Fury (Fiji) graphics cards.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael is it possible to benchmark R9 Fury at its full potential?
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
      Michael is it possible to benchmark R9 Fury at its full potential?
      What do you mean full potential? Just with newer Mesa Git than earlier this month Git? Aside from that it was at full potential with PowerPlay, etc. I didn't re-test new Mesa Git for this article as was using the previous article's results as a base as I didn't have time / machine handy for running some fresh AMDGPU w/ patched PowerPlay + Mesa 11.2-devel + LLVM 3.8 SVN + DRI3.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I tried (and failed) last night to set up your powerplay kernel michael - but I ended up leaving my system in a borked state I guess trying to do it on a 14.04 system is not such a good idea

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
          I tried (and failed) last night to set up your powerplay kernel michael - but I ended up leaving my system in a borked state I guess trying to do it on a 14.04 system is not such a good idea
          Could always patch the kernel yourself. Your kernel that is, instead of whatever Michael is using.

Comment

Guessing that "full potential" means including the patches Alex posted here after the previous set of tests :

http://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum...630#post834630

You need the following mesa and kernel patches for optimal performance with Fiji:
            http://people.freedesktop.org/~agd5f...r-config.patch
            http://people.freedesktop.org/~agd5f...de-table.patch
            There's a v2 of the mesa patch in Mesa recently (~12 days ago) and cc'ed to stable. The kernel patch is in Linus's tree now, shows as 11 days ago but it might have actually been pulled in more recently.

Michael knows about the Mesa patches, mentioned in the article...

Since the open-source results earlier this month, fixes landed in Mesa Git for improving the R9 Fury (Fiji) performance.
            ... but I think the kernel patch is needed as well, so in a perfect world the "PowerPlay" numbers would have used latest git Mesa & kernel. That said, there's always going to be something that gets faster while you're running the last set of tests.

Anyways, thanks for adding the Catalyst results !
            Last edited by bridgman; 28 November 2015, 12:12 AM.
            Test signature

Comment

380 looks really great on amdgpu!
              Really tempting to get one!

Comment

In would like to see HEVC Main 10 benchmarks. Especially with the AMD Fury and mesa. I have got DVB-S2 now and test all unencrypted Astra 4k channels. There are at least 3 promo channels (some are depending of the time encrypted): 2 from SES, 1 Canel+ french (highest average around 29 mpbs), then a shopping channel in german, Fashon 4k english and Insight UHD english/russian. As my box crashed under full load I found out that my CPU cooler had a bad bracket to hold it. After some more checks even 1 RAM module had failed. Well HEVC tests definitely reveal hardware issues...

I used a patched VDR steamdev plugin to access the streams via mpv and Kodi 16. Kodi has got an error if you add the channels.rss feed - after restart you have to remove a / from the source which is added magically. If you try mpv use:
                Code:
                mpv --no-config --fs --hwdec vdpau -vo vdpau VIDEO
                And check the output if vdpau is really used. Nvidia does not support HEVC Main 10 on Linux with the GTX 950/960. This is really bad... Testfiles:

Comment

I don't understand why OpenGL is still at 3.0 (3.0 Mesa 11.1.0-devel (padoka PPA) Gallium 0.4) for Stock and PowerPlay? For RadeonSI it should be 4.1, isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by extraymond View Post
                    380 looks really great on amdgpu!
                    Really tempting to get one!
                    You should!

I got mine with 4-GB of VRAM for 200 EUR.
                    And with ~3.5 Tflops of single-precision performance, it's about twice as fast when compared with the PS4!

IMHO, the best GPU one can buy for ~200 EUR right now...
                    Last edited by Linuxxx; 28 November 2015, 03:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X