Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EXT_shader_samples_identical Lands In Mesa

Phoronix: EXT_shader_samples_identical Lands In Mesa

Ian Romanick has landed support for the GL_EXT_shader_samples_identical extension within Mesa. This is a new OpenGL extension worked on by this member of Intel's Open-Source Technology Center team...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How often are the values in a multi-sample control surface the same?

Comment

Whaaaaaaaaaaat? Only intel 7th gen graphics will support this? When will this be? 2020? I bought a laptop a month ago, brand new model from ASUS, it even has a GTX 900 series optimus card, but it only has 4th gen intel graphics from an i7. That's 3 generations away from today's most common hardware! What is even the point? It'll already be obsolete by the time anyone can use it. It won't even be relevant when everyones already using Vulkan for their games anyways, I doubt this feature will be very useful outside of games.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
        Whaaaaaaaaaaat? Only intel 7th gen graphics will support this? When will this be? 2020? I bought a laptop a month ago, brand new model from ASUS, it even has a GTX 900 series optimus card, but it only has 4th gen intel graphics from an i7. That's 3 generations away from today's most common hardware! What is even the point? It'll already be obsolete by the time anyone can use it. It won't even be relevant when everyones already using Vulkan for their games anyways, I doubt this feature will be very useful outside of games.

If you'd read the link you'd know HD 4xxx is graphics generation 7, generation 4 Intel graphics came out in 2006 and ended in 2008 so if you bought that I'd be amazed. The current Intel microarchitecture Skylake has graphics generation 9.

Comment

I think you're a bit confused:

Comment

Originally posted by zamadatix View Post
            If you'd read the link you'd know HD 4xxx is graphics generation 7, generation 4 Intel graphics came out in 2006 and ended in 2008 so if you bought that I'd be amazed. The current Intel microarchitecture Skylake has graphics generation 9.
            I think he meant the CPU generation, but considering we are currently at the sixth generation he still bought a very old laptop.
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

I think he meant the CPU generation, but considering we are currently at the sixth generation he still bought a very old laptop.
              Yeah because Nvidia GTX 900 series is so old, especially the 950M 4GB variant, right?(the original 2GB one was released in March, I'm betting that the 4GB one is newer... a very new laptop model) Also check the launch date on my CPU, Q1 2015. http://ark.intel.com/products/78934/...up-to-3_60-GHz 4th gen CPUs are still being manufactured, apparently.

Not so old, is it? But apparently I was confused, since I thought the CPU and iGPU generations were the same. I was pretty sure that lspci called the card out as a 4th gen one... But yeah, I clearly was greatly confused, thanks for correcting me on that one.
              Last edited by rabcor; 21 November 2015, 05:23 AM.

Comment

4th gen CPUs are still being manufactured, apparently.
                Didn't know about it, but I really don't understand why you should want such an old CPU instead of a new one with a much better power efficiency.
                ## VGA ##

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

Didn't know about it, but I really don't understand why you should want such an old CPU instead of a new one with a much better power efficiency.
                  I just told you it's brand spankin new... When you're on a budget you can't always get 100% what you want. Otherwise I]d have skylake architecture with 16gb ddr4 laptop with gtx 980m and a 1TB or larger SSD... I had to make do with this, and I'm actually quite satisfied with this laptop, it's excellent for the budget range I got it in (but it's not exactly your everyday laptop, doesn't have a UEFI BIOS for example, like most do these days. But at least it supports EFI.)
                  Last edited by rabcor; 23 November 2015, 04:56 AM.

Comment

Sorry, with old I simply meant old architecture. I guess it's still too early to find good deals for the newer architectures.
                    ## VGA ##

Comment

Working...
                    X