Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU Hurd 0.7 & GNU Mach 1.6 Released

Phoronix: GNU Hurd 0.7 & GNU Mach 1.6 Released

Stepping ahead of the Linux 4.3 release is a Halloween release of GNU Hurd 0.7, GNU Mach 1.6, and GNU MIG 1.6...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why even bother?

Comment

Originally posted by noonespecial View Post
      Why even bother?
      Why do anything? Why not just jump off a bridge and die?

Comment

Originally posted by MartinN View Post

Why do anything? Why not just jump off a bridge and die?

Part of me wants to agree with the "Why even bother?" perspective. I guess this is the open-source news site equivalent of a slow news day? :P

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          Phoronix: GNU Hurd 0.7 & GNU Mach 1.6 Released

Stepping ahead of the Linux 4.3 release is a Halloween release of GNU Hurd 0.7, GNU Mach 1.6, and GNU MIG 1.6...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...d-0.7-Released
          You missed an important aspect of the release announcement for GNU Mach:
          "lets non-privileged users write to a small amount of memory" is not the same as "The kernel now allows non-privileged users to wire a small amount of memory."

Comment

Originally posted by Niarbeht View Post

Part of me wants to agree with the "Why even bother?" perspective. I guess this is the open-source news site equivalent of a slow news day? :P

Your question "why bother" is valid. It's just that there's no answer beyond - "I do what I do because I do what I do", after all is said and done, in the final analysis. The "why" is usually motivated by a noble cause (but not always), i.e. to give back to the community.... in a way that helps and serves others. Ultimately that's, at least in my view, the answer to "why bother". Whether the following ends up the size of Linux in the end ...or the size of, well, GNU Hurd - no one ultimately knows.... it's all timing.

Comment

Working...
            X