Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Pulled In Around $162k USD Last Year

Phoronix: KDE Pulled In Around $162k USD Last Year

KDE e.V. yesterday released their last quarterly report to end out 2014, which offer a look at their finances for the past year. I've also taken the liberty to do a cursory comparison against the GNOME Foundation's finances for 2014...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So... are we saying KDE needs a special membership board that you need to pay to get into?

Comment

I'm not totally sure how to interpreter those numbers (if those include different things or managed in different way and so on), however there is a specific line that I found impressive, the employees expenses:
      KDE = 11.5 K?
      GNOME = 156.5 k?
      It's more than one order of magnitude.
      If it is right, It is amazing how beautiful and good KDE is with only those few resources available.

Comment

Donated. If anyone from KDE sees this: I love Plasma 5, keep up the good work.

Comment

While this shocked me a bit, there's a significant difference between how KDE and Gnome are structured; namely that Gnome maintains GTK while Qt is handled outside of KDE, which takes a significant software burden off of KDE. I couldn't find the numbers on Qt specifically, but just looking at things like partner pages and the fact that Qt has a large commercial offering - I wouldn't imagine the solo Qt finance numbers are insignificant.

Comment

Originally posted by valeriodean View Post
            I'm not totally sure how to interpreter those numbers (if those include different things or managed in different way and so on), however there is a specific line that I found impressive, the employees expenses:
            KDE = 11.5 K€
            GNOME = 156.5 k€
            It's more than one order of magnitude.
            If it is right, It is amazing how beautiful and good KDE is with only those few resources available.

Money != Resources.

The KDE community is the second largest Free Software community behind the Linux kernel community.
            [
            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDE]

Comment

I find interesting the half million dollars that gnome spends in affirmative action policies . That's kind of disproportionate.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post
                I find interesting the half million dollars that gnome spends in affirmative action policies . That's kind of disproportionate.
                Lucky for you then that they didn't. GNOME accounts were just handling the payouts: the money came from other companies. This is quite clear if you look at "OPW" row under "Income".

Comment

I usually donate when they do Sprints. The latest one I donated for is the Randa one, about mobile apps. I love KDE Connect and they deserve every cent. I just hope that more peoples will donate in future.
                  ## VGA ##
                  AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                  Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Pretty amazing that Gnome got a half million dollars for what basically amounts to sexism and gender politics. Can you imagine if that money was put to actual good use, like improving the software? Maybe gnome shell wouldn't leak memory like a sieve. Just sayin...

Comment

Working...
                    X