Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Announces New R-Series Embedded SoCs

Phoronix: AMD Announces New R-Series Embedded SoCs

After teasing them for a few days, AMD today officially announced their new high-end embedded R-Series SoC processors. These new R-Series SoCs feature Excavator CPU cores and third-generation GCN GPUs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cool that Carrizo starts to get out of mobile... I might buy one of two IPC-FP4 ITX boards for Desktop , thing has DDR4 and HDMI 2.0 support

Last edited by dungeon; 21 October 2015, 11:30 AM.

Comment

So, is the first AMD GPU to support HDMI 2.0 a embedded device, not a discrete GPU?

Comment

Yeah and first AMD processor to support DDR4

Comment

Screw DDR4, I'm still waiting on AMD motherboards that support PCI-e 3.0... AMD GPUs support it, but none of the motherboards? >_>

Comment

Are you looking for discrete CPU or APU ? I didn't find many discrete CPU mobos with PCIE 3.0 (although the Sabertooth has been out for a while) but there seem to be a lot of PCIE3.0 mobos for the APUs. IIRC most of the FM2+ mobos with Kaveri have PCIE 3.0, at least that's what the specs are saying.

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboa...990FXGEN3_R20/

The mini-ITX board from Sapphire for R-series embedded also supports PCIE 3.0, although it's only an x8 slot:

http://www.sapphiretech.com/productd...9AEC3&lang=eng
            Last edited by bridgman; 22 October 2015, 12:37 AM.
            Test signature

Comment

Thanks bridgman

I was looking for a discrete CPU one, of the AM3+ variety so that I could use an FX 8-core cpu (currently on a 6-core). Is an newer-gen A10 APU better as a general processor (I have a dedicated GPU) than an FX series?

I guess the real question is whether or not at this point it's worth it to buy a new motherboard & CPU if Zen is coming next year. Then again, Q4 of next year is, well, a year away :/

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                Thanks bridgman

I was looking for a discrete CPU one, of the AM3+ variety so that I could use an FX 8-core cpu (currently on a 6-core). Is an newer-gen A10 APU better as a general processor (I have a dedicated GPU) than an FX series?

I guess the real question is whether or not at this point it's worth it to buy a new motherboard & CPU if Zen is coming next year. Then again, Q4 of next year is, well, a year away :/
                if you want an AM3+ motherboard with pci-e 3.0 then you'll have to find one of the rare asus sabertooth w/ 990 chipset and pci-e.
                it's rare coz it had a lot of problems and it disappeared from the market.

Comment

Not to mention allot of the AMD CPU's DON'T have a PCI-e 3.0 controller in them!

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                    Screw DDR4, I'm still waiting on AMD motherboards that support PCI-e 3.0... AMD GPUs support it, but none of the motherboards? >_>
                    Well, I got this thingy and I love it: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/SA..._R20/overview/
                    And so does the rest in there: https://community.amd.com/thread/180499
                    Lockheed

Comment

Working...
                    X