Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat Buys Out Ansible For Around $100M

Phoronix: Red Hat Buys Out Ansible For Around $100M

Red Hat announced this morning they are acquiring Ansible, Inc, a leader of IT automation solutions...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Holy crabsticks! Doesn't this mean Red Hat is way more loaded than Canonical...

Now I am curious about who is the richest Linux company out there.

Comment

Originally posted by sabun View Post
      Holy crabsticks! Doesn't this mean Red Hat is way more loaded than Canonical...

Now I am curious about who is the richest Linux company out there.
      Hasn't it long been known that Red Hat is more financially successful than Canonical? Red Hat actually turns profits where as last I've heard, Canonical still isn't profitable.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Hasn't it long been known that Red Hat is more financially successful than Canonical? Red Hat actually turns profits where as last I've heard, Canonical still isn't profitable.
        Everyone has to learn at some point, and this is the moment I learned about this. Now I know there are bigger fish in the sea.

Comment

I may have to try out one of the user friendly versions of Fedora like Korora or Chapeau. I'm getting a bit disillusioned with the various *buntus ( Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Linux Mint flavors such as KDE Mint and Cinnamon Mint all based on Ubuntu ).

It seems to me that Chapeau and Korora are projects, like Ubuntu is to Debian, to make Fedora easy for n00bs and people like me who are not n00bs but don't don't have time to be phreaks and geeks concerning their Linux set ups.

Plus, it also seems to me that these Fedora spins screw around with Fedora MUCH less than Ubuntu does to Debian. I get the feeling these distros are closer to the "root" of the base Fedora distro than Ubuntu and it's children ever will be. Which, in my mind and in theory, should introduce less problems.

Last edited by Jumbotron; 16 October 2015, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
            I may have to try out one of the user friendly versions of Fedora like Korora or Chapeau. I'm getting a bit disillusioned with the various *buntus ( Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Linux Mint flavors such as KDE Mint and Cinnamon Mint all based on Ubuntu ).

It seems to me that Chapeau and Korora are projects, like Ubuntu is to Debian, to make Fedora easy for n00bs and people like me who are not n00bs but don't don't have time to be phreaks and geeks concerning their Linux set ups.

Plus, it also seems to me that these Fedora spins screw around with Fedora MUCH less than Ubuntu does to Debian. I get the feeling these distros are closer to the "root" of the base Fedora distro than Ubuntu and it's children ever will be. Which, in my mind and in theory, should introduce less problems.

http://chapeaulinux.org/

Those distributions' raison d'?tre are mostly to bundle more proprietary software than there is in Fedora... with a bit of xkcd 927 of course.

Moreover, it is way harder to get support with them, since the Fedora support channels don't support Fedora-derived distributions.

Comment

Understood. But GNU/Linux's reason for existence is xkcd 927

As far as support. Meh. I'm a single user. Well.....IT and support tech to the family's cadre of Linux boxes. There's nothing in the RPMFusion repositories that's not in a typical PPA for Ubuntu. Support is the reason forums exist.

Comment

This is from Wikipedia, so take it with a grain of salt: Canonical 700+ employees revenue (2013) of 65.7 million. Red Hat 7,300 employees revenue (2014) of 1.534 billion. So yea Red Hat is much larger.

Comment

Somewhat Off topic : I want to see Debian Testing added to phoronix's tests. For me Debian Testing is the perfect combination of stability, ease of use, and updated software (mesa/xorg/kernel etc). I want to see how Debian testing would fair against manjaro, fedora, opensuse etc. Ubuntu just doesnt cut it for me ( Dont know what kind of tweaking they do with their distro but on older hardware its a lot less responsive, CFQ chokes on SATA2 on disk transfer(video playback freezes), I still find video tearing with sandybridge on ubuntu mate 1504. )

Comment

This will get flamed for pages, but I've found Arch linux to be vastly superior to Debian Testing, and not very unstable at all (disclaimer: have only been using it for about 18 months). And if you can't handle a bare metal install, Antergos is basically Arch, but with a graphic installer and a little added stability (which again, I haven't found to be an issue). With Arch you get entirely up to date open source software; with Debian Testing you get stuff that's old and stale, but not ancient like Debian Stable. It's the always out of date software in Debian/Ubuntu that finally drove me to Arch.

Comment

Working...
                    X