Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Loses A Corporate Fellow, HSA Expert To NVIDIA

Phoronix: AMD Loses A Corporate Fellow, HSA Expert To NVIDIA

It was just last month that legendary CPU designer Jim Keller left AMD and now the company is taking another blow with another high level departure. This time they're losing a corporate fellow and the former president of the HSA Foundation...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's simple because everything that AMD did in the past few years was stupid. They always compare their CPUs to Intel, for example FX-9590 (Piledriver-based) is the first desktop processor which run at 5.0GHz or A10 Kaveri the most advanced APU can only crossfire with two low-end processors (R7 240 and 250). I'm AMD fanboy myself but it all just stupid.

Comment

Alas, poor AMD I knew him, Horatio; a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy; he hath borne me on his back a thousand times; and now, how abhorred in my imagination it is!

Comment

As much as I'm a fan of HSA, it was fairly poorly executed. I'm not really surprised by this, hopefully it's more of a good thing than bad. :/

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
          Alas, poor AMD I knew him, Horatio; a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy; he hath borne me on his back a thousand times; and now, how abhorred in my imagination it is!
          It's not dead. Yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuxee View Post

It's not dead. Yet.
            So just resting then is he ?

How about a pet slug ?

Comment

Originally posted by Klassic Six View Post
              It's simple because everything that AMD did in the past few years was stupid. They always compare their CPUs to Intel, for example FX-9590 (Piledriver-based) is the first desktop processor which run at 5.0GHz or A10 Kaveri the most advanced APU can only crossfire with two low-end processors (R7 240 and 250). I'm AMD fanboy myself but it all just stupid.
              Falacy of GHz was proved long ago by Intel. Claiming that its good thing to go to such extreme...
              It was neccessary as AMD did not had anything better and they could pull it off.

But 3-4GHz design with better IPC would be much better!

And why blame AMD for A10 inability of crossfire with better GPUs? Its DX11 falacy. You know, Microsoft Corp. etc.
              DX12 now is different. So not all is lost for that A10

Comment

As much as I root for AMD (and rooting is all I do these days, since they have no product I wish to buy), I feel an incoming landslide.

Comment

This may be disappointing news, but I don't think it's as bad as others may think. These people have pretty much completed the hard part of their work. Sure, keeping them around would definitely make life easier for AMD, but they're not needed anymore. If their work was incomplete then I think AMD would be in serious trouble. At this point, Zen's design is probably complete and just in alpha stages. Considering Rogers' new position at nvidia, it seems to be more of a morale-killer toward AMD than something nvidia actually needs. I get the impression nvidia isn't really that interested in HSA, and it's not like Rogers can just tell nvidia AMD's secrets.

Comment

Originally posted by Master5000 View Post
                    Bam, nvidia is bleeding them dry. The end is nigh for AMD! Feeling so great for anticipating this and switching to nvidia cards a few years ago! Yeeeehaaaawww!
                    Michael I have a feeling you have a hidden trollfood somewhere in your page source code, could you maybe find it and remove it?

Comment

Working...
                    X