Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 24 Poised To Have NetworkManager 1.2

Phoronix: Fedora 24 Poised To Have NetworkManager 1.2

The latest feature proposed for Fedora 24 and should almost certainly be approved is the landing of NetworkManager 1.2...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i wouldnt be surprised if 1.2 is pushed into F23 eventually

Comment

I'd like to see the NM gui make it easier to set the computer's IP address to static. It's not at all intuitive.

Comment

Originally posted by vwtch View Post
        I'd like to see the NM gui make it easier to set the computer's IP address to static. It's not at all intuitive.
        NM has too many interfaces IMO. GNOME, networkmanager-applet, KDE one. You're talking about the networkmanager-applet one?

I like that NM changed focus on making networking work for everyone; not just desktops. Mandrake/Mandriva/Mageia had their own solution called netdrake which always worked way better according to feedback from various users. However, nowadays it's more often that way more often NM works vs netdrake working. So there's a push for changing to NM (and pushback from whomever still relies on netdrake).

Comment

I just took the time to learn the 'nmcli' command line tool. It's a hassle to learn, and it's a shame that the GUI didn't handle everything I wanted, but once I got used to it I had no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by vwtch View Post
            then you are doing it wrong. in gnome it is 5 intuitive clicks to get to ipv4 adapter settings

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
              i wouldnt be surprised if 1.2 is pushed into F23 eventually
              That's very unlikely to happen. There is a number of reasons for that:

The update is going to be a large one. While we keep the ABIs and APIs stable and not break anything that uses our libraries or D-Bus interfaces we've done a ton of changes and they need fair amount of testing. That is why we're importing the snapshots to Fedora 24 very early in the release cycle.

Some of the changes don't make sense to backport. Say, the adopting the privacy enhancements for IPv6 addressing (RFC 7217) is generally a good change and it will have to be done at some point (IETF is expected to mandate it), but doing it in a stable release is probably not a good idea. Given the size of the user base the change in algorithm to create the addresses is almost guaranteed to catch some network operators by surprise. Or the support for multiple VPN connections need the plugin packages to be updated to take advantage of.

Fedora 24 will follow rather soon after Fedora 23 (it's not going to be one year's wait). And if anyone's too impatient to wait we still have COPR with the latest packages for everything from RHEL 7 to latest Fedora.
              Last edited by lkundrak; 14 October 2015, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X