Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice Being Ported To The Web Browser Via EmScripten

Phoronix: LibreOffice Being Ported To The Web Browser Via EmScripten

While there is already LibreOffice Online as a cloud-based version of the open-source office suite using the GTK3 HTML5 Broadway back-end, there's a new, separate effort underway for getting LibreOffice in web browsers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

LibreOffice Online does not use GTK3 HTML Broadway back-end, only the earlier prototype used it. I have said this already in "LibreOffice Online" thread but Michael still claims it does...

Comment

Well depending how this works out, it'll hopefully be a better alternative to Google Docs. GD is "ok" but I'm shocked that it's even more proprietary than MS Office.

Comment

Compiling LO without GUI using EmScripten is one thing - but to make it actually into something useful is an insane amount of work.

Comment

If something like LibreOffice Online was picked up by Google to replace or beef up their existing Google Docs, that would be nice. Right now, editing docs in the web browser still seems to consume too many resources for a collaborative text editor.

I'm assuming that that's more or less where people are going with this. It would also help a site like Nanowrimo if it was integrated there with autosaving.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            Well depending how this works out, it'll hopefully be a better alternative to Google Docs. GD is "ok" but I'm shocked that it's even more proprietary than MS Office.
            why would you be shocked about that? It's a cloud service after all...

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

why would you be shocked about that? It's a cloud service after all...
              Because Google doesn't tend to cripple things in that way. I don't see how being a cloud service has anything to do with it either.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                Because Google doesn't tend to cripple things in that way. I don't see how being a cloud service has anything to do with it either.
                Since when don't they? GTalk is a non-standard XMPP service, and GMail provides a non-standard IMAP system which have caused developers to have problems in the past. As to what cloud services have to do with it? Well it's really quite simple. Cloud services as a thing are really about control, Control over your data so that it can be datamined, and control over the application

Comment

Since when don't they? GTalk is a non-standard XMPP service, and GMail provides a non-standard IMAP system which have caused developers to have problems in the past.
                  The difference with these services is, to my knowledge, they're not intended to be compatible with others. They are their own thing. I wasn't aware of the IMAP issue but it seems to me that 3rd party applications for gmail are pretty common, so I can't imagine it'd be that difficult to develop for. Google Docs, however, is (or should be) compatible with standard MS Office documents (like .doc or .xlsx). It can read them but it seems to have limited functionality with them.
                  As to what cloud services have to do with it? Well it's really quite simple. Cloud services as a thing are really about control, Control over your data so that it can be datamined, and control over the application
                  Point taken.

Comment

Since when don't they? GTalk is a non-standard XMPP service, and GMail provides a non-standard IMAP system which have caused developers to have problems in the past. As to what cloud services have to do with it? Well it's really quite simple. Cloud services as a thing are really about control, Control over your data so that it can be datamined, and control over the application

Originally, GTalk was supposed to be compatible. It was one of the selling points. Now it's been killed off, Hangouts has replaced it, and I believe the legacy XMPP servers are due to be shut down soon.
                    Last edited by gigaplex; 05 October 2015, 07:35 PM. Reason: Quoted wrong post

Comment

Working...
                    X