Ubuntu Needs Help Fixing Thousands Of Unity/Compiz Bugs For 16.04 LTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Needs Help Fixing Thousands Of Unity/Compiz Bugs For 16.04 LTS

Phoronix: Ubuntu Needs Help Fixing Thousands Of Unity/Compiz Bugs For 16.04 LTS

Ubuntu 16.04 LTS shipping next April on the desktop will be using Unity 7 by default along with the Compiz window manager atop an X.Org Server. While this isn't as big of a change as switching to Unity 8 on the desktop with Mir, there's still thousands of outstanding bugs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yeah, Compiz is a mess. So much bugs, and often there are regressions too.

Also relies much on outdated legacy technology (such as gcon2 instead of dconf, and GTK2 instead of GTK3).

Comment

Just let that shit die in peace. RIP.
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Their shit is non-userfriendly apt or i don't know how they call their shit is hard to understand, if they want people to contribute, they'll have to make their shit easier to learn

It looks like they only want to rely on senior devs who are there for more than 10 years...

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
          Just let that shit die in peace. RIP.
          Yeah, fixing a thousand bugs, even 200 isn't worth for a project that is deprecated (and dead for most users since upgrades are free) a year from now.
          Anyway, why is Unity 8 taking soooo long?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Also relies much on outdated legacy technology (such as gcon2 instead of dconf, and GTK2 instead of GTK3).
            They moved over to dconf somewhere between 12.04 and 14.04. I know because I lost all of my configuration settings in the "upgrade". Not that dconf is any better, of course. It's like a big damn registry.

As for compiz... maybe they should remove the CLA. Did they accept nvidia's patch yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Scellow View Post
              Their shit is non-userfriendly apt or i don't know how they call their shit is hard to understand, if they want people to contribute, they'll have to make their shit easier to learn

It looks like they only want to rely on senior devs who are there for more than 10 years...
              Not true, Ubuntu Compiz developer/maintainer was very young at the time maybe even younger the you

Comment

Sigh, foronix headline. Primarily, they want help with triaging and cleaning up a year-old bug tracker.

Comment

Why not use mutter?

Comment

I'm gonna help fix bugs. I can't wait for Unity 8. I hope they have a really good run and fix all the issues before it comes out so it works really well.

Comment

Working...
                    X