Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.18 Will Finally Present Proper Google Drive Support

Phoronix: GNOME 3.18 Will Finally Present Proper Google Drive Support

With the forthcoming GNOME 3.18 release, yet another one of the features is proper Google Drive integration...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I would like to see the cloud integration be built using a modular architecture where each module can implement one or more interfaces according to the interface segregation policy of SOLID.

It would be nice to see support for Microsoft OneDrive, Apple iCloud and Dropbox also integrated.

Comment

They should model it after the Storage Access Framework from Android.

Comment

I wonder if it'll support DropBox like sync.
        For me, the lack of (a stable) Google Drive sync is a killer...
        oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
        oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
        oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
        Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Question:I assume this is set up so as not to connect to Google unless a Google account exists, GNOME has been made aware of it, and the Google Drive feature is in use? Lots of people use GNOME apps for strictly local work with no cloud storage or integration used or desired.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            I would like to see the cloud integration be built using a modular architecture where each module can implement one or more interfaces according to the interface segregation policy of SOLID.

It would be nice to see support for Microsoft OneDrive, Apple iCloud and Dropbox also integrated.

If you read the original article, you'll see that it's integrated through GIO like a number of other things (such as MTP, SFTP, etc.). It is, in terms of functionality, similar to SAF.
            If you wanted to build a OneDrive, iCloud(though tough chance you'll be able to do that), or Dropbox integration, it could be done similarly through GIO.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
              Question:I assume this is set up so as not to connect to Google unless a Google account exists, GNOME has been made aware of it, and the Google Drive feature is in use? Lots of people use GNOME apps for strictly local work with no cloud storage or integration used or desired.
              Um... think about it. The entire purpose of the feature is to access files stored under your account on Google's servers. Why would it ever connect to Google's servers if no Google account has been set up? Seriously - from an engineering perspective, the question doesn't make any sense...

Comment

Great news!
                I've been using Grive for a while and it's not the most stable service I have running. I had some DNS issues (router drama) and the added delay completely locked it up, a slow connection all but guarantees it'll fuck your shit up with weird syncing, no syncing, or locking up completely.

Go GNOME!

Comment

It is obviously preferable not to connect to an unused server if someone does not have an account, but I've seen so many things that phone home that this requires checking just to be sure. I've done further research, it appears this works by connecting to Gnome online accounts. If that program has nothing enabled or is not running/installed this should disable Google integration. Still, just like Firefox this is something I will have to check in Wireshark. Starting Firefox with Wireshark running revealed so many things phoning home it took me half an hour to disable them all and get a clean startup with no connections made until I loaded the home page manually.

Comment

Working...
                  X