Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sailfish OS 2.0 UI Now In Early Access

Phoronix: Sailfish OS 2.0 UI Now In Early Access

For Jolla Phone users part of their early access user group, the Sailfish OS 2.0 user interface is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Meh, I'm not interested in closed source phones. Ubuntu Touch and KDE Touch interest me more. Hell, even Android interests me more.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
      Meh, I'm not interested in closed source phones. Ubuntu Touch and KDE Touch interest me more. Hell, even Android interests me more.
      Why? How much closed source will Ubuntu Touch have?

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
        The current long term plan for Jolla seem to be:
        • opensource the full stack
        • earn money through partnerships (3-way partnerships with hardware manufacturer and content providers)

(source)

Jolla is going through some critically important time. I hope they'll survive.
        (I'm a little bit fed up of being on platform that I love on technical ground but that ends up going belly up:
        PalmOS, WebOS... Sailfish would be a big loss to me if they followed the same trend).

Comment

Sailfish 2.0 is very nice. For an early access update, I have to say it's been the most pleasant to date. Everything seems to be faster and smoother, and the few quirks that irritated me about the UI are gone.

Comment

So they are glad to use an open source stack, but then close down the one part which is the most important for end users to allow customization. I was really excited about jolla when they launched because they promised to go open source quickly. But once again, all lies.

Comment

They keep opensourcing parts regularly though. And I still believe them with the full opensource stack plan.
              I'd understand them if they wanted to secure some deals before opensourcing everything, and they've been quite busy updating the OS almost monthly.

Comment

... BTW, back in 2014 they had Nexus 4/5/7 images. Are they still updating these images (Google search didn't return anything meaningful)
                oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Yes: https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Ada...for_hammerhead

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
                    So they are glad to use an open source stack, but then close down the one part which is the most important for end users to allow customization. I was really excited about jolla when they launched because they promised to go open source quickly. But once again, all lies.

I don't know what you mean by customization but you can patch the UI in case you wan't to. There are many patches available already.

Also polishing and giving you a working products costs engineering time and someone has to pay for that and make money. Why do you think most FOSS apps suck.

If you wan't the best linux phone right now get it.

Comment

Working...
                    X