Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epiphany 3.17.91 Released, Blocks Ads By Default

Phoronix: Epiphany 3.17.91 Released, Blocks Ads By Default

Epiphany 3.17.91 was released this morning, the near-final version of the GNOME web browser update ahead of GNOME 3.18 later this month...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I doubt anyone else finds that controversial

Comment

KDE's Rekonq also has this behavior. I imagine is a artificial way to improve load times and responsiveness, compared to the much better performance of Chrome/Chromium (that is also based in Webkit). That way your pet project don't look too bad compared to the big dogs.

Firefox 41 Beta 7 looks promising, finally receiving a long waited speed boost in page loading. And Chromium still suffers from a stupid developer induced bug in Ubuntu, that make it loose Vsync.

Comment

I wonder how many people actually use Epiphany. What are its real benefits in comparison to other browsers ?
        Better integration in Gnome ?

Comment

Guess what doesn't work on Firefox but works on webkit based browsers? qBittorrent Web UI, that's what. And that's where I use Epiphany because I use GNOME 3. Shame on Firefox.

Comment

Michael, I think you have to face reality: Basically everyone is using Adblockers, now even browsers start to have this functionality inbuilt and enabled by default. This indicates a thing you really have to think about: the whole "we finance the website by ads" thing has run its course and is rather sooner than later not viable anymore. You would be well advised to work on different ways to earn money from Phoronix, instead of urging your customers to adhere to the old system.

Comment

Not only that, but it's getting nearly impossible to browse without script blockers. Face it, most are malicious. I think Micheal does a better job now at making sure malicious scripts don't get triggered from this site, but that's not true almost anywhere else. Even big name sites get tons of malicious scripts triggered. I don't see a good way forward honestly. Average users get inundated and have no way to do anything about it. The world wide web is doomed imo.

Comment

Originally posted by nitroflow View Post
                Guess what doesn't work on Firefox but works on webkit based browsers? qBittorrent Web UI, that's what. And that's where I use Epiphany because I use GNOME 3. Shame on Firefox.
                I use it more and more. The WebKit2 stack for GTK+ is maturing quickly. By the next 9 months I won't touch Firefox unless still absolutely necessary.

Comment

I use Firefox exclusively, with uBlockOrigin all the time. However, I have it deactivated on phoronix and, in spite of this, no ads are displayed at all.
                  I'm pretty sure this is due to using "privacy.trackingprotection.enabled".

Is there any way to white-list sites? I'd gladly do it if it helped...

Comment

Michael, I am curious about how much revenue you get for a single page view, could you give some numbers?
                    I have a flash blocker installed, so I see only half of the ads here.

Comment

Working...
                    X