Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHP 7.0 RC2 Has 28 Bug Fixes, 250+ Commits

Phoronix: PHP 7.0 RC2 Has 28 Bug Fixes, 250+ Commits

Just two weeks after releasing PHP 7.0 RC1, the second release candidate is now available for this gigantic update to PHP...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Together with performance, the most important of PHP 7 is the new type system. You should mention that in your list of what makes PHP 7 notable. By any reasonable standard, the new type system is more important than the "null coalescing operator" which you do mention. I would also rank the new error handling as important.

Comment

Originally posted by Thue View Post
      Together with performance, the most important of PHP 7 is the new type system.
      I think that new type hinting system is more important than performance.

I'm really happy to see it, but without something like c++ templates it can be a PITA on long run.

Comment

Originally posted by michal View Post

I'm really happy to see it, but without something like c++ templates it can be a PITA on long run.
        Theres an rfc for that https://wiki.php.net/rfc/generics which I hope it passes

Comment

only 28 bug fixes? that must be nearly,, what, 0.1% of them?
          I'm not saying PHP is bad... I'm saying it's a pox on the internet!

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post

Theres an rfc for that https://wiki.php.net/rfc/generics which I hope it passes

Great.

Comment

Originally posted by michal View Post

I really like the new types. But with the improvement in CPU and memory usage, the size of the server I have running my PHP application can be reduced by half. That is a lot of money .

Comment

While I prefer to write websites in Python3 and Django/Flask, I do use PHP when I need compatibility with cheap shared-hosting services (or the client demands wordpress). Unfortunately most cheap hosting providers only offer PHP versions from 2+ years ago. As excited as I am about the new language features and increase in efficiency and performance, PHP7 breaks backwards compatibility with 5.x servers so think I will have to wait a very long time before I am able to start using it to create real-world websites.

EDIT:
                Of course I could get around that by using a cheap VPS and installing PHP7 on it myself, but by that route I could just as easily install HACK and get even better performance and real type support, or Python3 and use a sane language.
                Last edited by flubba86; 05 September 2015, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X