Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xonotic 0.8.1 Brings New Maps, New Gameplay Features

Phoronix: Xonotic 0.8.1 Brings New Maps, New Gameplay Features

Xonotic, the successor to Nexuiz and one of the best open-source games in recent years (certainly my favorite, since it's a great open-source game benchmark), is out with a new release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cool, that will be first game to try on my just compiled Nectarine RC1 Xserver

Comment

needs to be on steam

Comment

Steam please.

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
          needs to be on steam
          But why? It's in probably every distro repository, just install the package and you're set. Want time tracking and other stats? The game has that too. Differential upgrades over rsync? It's there. Movie recording? The game has that too. Benchmarking? Yes. Servers to play on? There are numerous, probably there are more Xonotic servers than there are active players in the community. That might be somewhat of a problem, but if you want to play the game, nothing is stopping you.

There is nothing on Steam that Xonotic could benefit from (while staying friendly to FLOSS and other distribution providers), except maybe people.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post

But why? It's in probably every distro repository, just install the package and you're set. Want time tracking and other stats? The game has that too. Differential upgrades over rsync? It's there. Movie recording? The game has that too. Benchmarking? Yes. Servers to play on? There are numerous, probably there are more Xonotic servers than there are active players in the community. That might be somewhat of a problem, but if you want to play the game, nothing is stopping you.

There is nothing on Steam that Xonotic could benefit from (while staying friendly to FLOSS and other distribution providers), except maybe people.

Exactly. I never understood why people "need" it to be on Steam. It's super easy to install and already has built-in stats. Millennials.

Comment

The advantage of a game being released on Steam is that it can be always on the latest release, not being dependant on distro-specific libraries for example. So users of the Stable branch of Debian, for instance, would always have the latest Xonotic, because Steam ships it's own variables.

Comment

Originally posted by Amarildo View Post
                The advantage of a game being released on Steam is that it can be always on the latest release, not being dependant on distro-specific libraries for example. So users of the Stable branch of Debian, for instance, would always have the latest Xonotic, because Steam ships it's own variables.
                Which means you have no guarantee it'll even compile, unless it's supplying pre-compiled binaries, which in that case, you have no guarantee it'll even run at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Irritant View Post

Which means you have no guarantee it'll even compile, unless it's supplying pre-compiled binaries, which in that case, you have no guarantee it'll even run at all.
                  I'm not sure you understand how Steam works.

Games on Steam don't need to compile. Once you download a game you download all it's binaries/files and these are ready to play, no need for compilation because they're already compiled.

Steam games DO NOT depend on distro-specific because Steam ships it's own self-contained libraries/runtime that are separate from the distro. So it doesn't matter what distro you're using, Steam and it's games will always work (considering your version of libc6 is updated enough).

Comment

Originally posted by Amarildo View Post

I'm not sure you understand how Steam works.

Games on Steam don't need to compile. Once you download a game you download all it's binaries/files and these are ready to play, no need for compilation because they're already compiled.
                    Hence, what I said in my previous post - there is no guarantee it'll run on your specific distro. That is the problem with pre-compiled binaries.

Comment

Working...
                    X