Linux Power Efficiency Of Skylake, Broadwell, Haswell & Kaveri Compared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Power Efficiency Of Skylake, Broadwell, Haswell & Kaveri Compared

Phoronix: Linux Power Efficiency Of Skylake, Broadwell, Haswell & Kaveri Compared

Last week from the new Intel Core i5 6600K "Skylake" processor I posted the initial Linux CPU benchmarks as well as results for the new HD Graphics 530 graphics processor with Intel's open-source Linux graphics driver stack. In this article are some complementary data points for this Core i5 Skylake CPU compared to Haswell and Broadwell processors as well as a AMD A10-7870K Godavari APU.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow, a 250$/380$ APU is better than a 130$ APU.
    I miss the relation to the prices.
    Last edited by Nille; 25 August 2015, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
      Wow, a 250$/380$ APU is better than a 130$ APU.
      I miss the relation to the prices.
      You say that as though the article made product recommendations. Price is irrelevant when you're comparing performance-per-watt. This article is just simply showing facts - calm down.

Comment

I'm still hoping AMD will respond with an enthusiast APU. I'd love a fat APU with 14/16 nm fab processing + HBM and no additional ddr3/4 ram for a compact pc.

Comment

How much do they take each when idle?

Comment

I think Kaveri did well considering the price point. Obviously AMD lags Intel a lot these days - and I say that as an AMD fanboy. I have three desktops in the house with AMD processors.

Really, I think for desktops the current APU that makes the most sense is the A10-7800. You get most of the performance of the 7870 for a much lower power draw. My wife's computer as the A10-6700 and it runs fine and is whisper quiet all of the time.

Comment

Kaveri performance with OSS drivers are much slower than with Catalyst. Difference is a lot higher than for discrete cards, thats why I hope than for future benchmarks with Kaveri Michael will use Catalyst drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by boffo View Post
                I'm still hoping AMD will respond with an enthusiast APU. I'd love a fat APU with 14/16 nm fab processing + HBM and no additional ddr3/4 ram for a compact pc.
                I'm sure AMD would love to have that too.

Comment

No one gives a damn about efficiency in desktop, when Intel uses thermal paste to keep these parts atrificially hot and non-overclockable.

Comment

Originally posted by utack View Post
                    No one gives a damn about efficiency in desktop, when Intel uses thermal paste to keep these parts atrificially hot and non-overclockable.
                    For us who has grown up, compute/energy density is nigh on the only thing that matters.
                    But sure, for pimple-faces with the latest overclockable CPU, three more FPS in your game with hand picked/tuned DDR might just be the only thing that occupies their mind.

This is an extremely relevant article. Much more so for me than any "Oh look, shiny three more FPS!".

Comment

Working...
                    X