Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Turns 24 Years Old Today

Phoronix: Linux Turns 24 Years Old Today

Linus turns twenty-four years old today!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I started using Linux in 1994 or 95 (can't remember). Started out with Slackware. So many damn 3.5" floppies. Seems like every time I installed it one of the disks would crap out and I'd have to start all over again. Good times.
    Last edited by Hohlraum; 25 August 2015, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hohlraum View Post
      I started using Linux in 1994 or 95 (can't remember). Started out with Slackware. So many damn 3.5" floppies. Seems like every time I installed it one of the disks would crap out and I'd have to start all over again. Good times.
      I started with Slackware around the same time, too, but it was on the CD of a magazine I was reading at the time. I think it was CHIP.
      Didn't stick too much with Slackware, I soon moved to RedHat. And now I'm a Kubuntu made man (I was never too fond of Gnome2 and I'm downright lost in Gnome3).

Master5000 There are markets other than desktop, you know?

Comment

Originally posted by Master5000 View Post
        And in the next 14 years.... still at 1% market share....
        Oh please, right now it's 1.52%, which rounds to 2% :P

Comment

1% of what market?
          Desktop computers is the only one where linux hasn't an big market share.
          Looking at the whole consumer market then things looks different and microsoft is the small player and Linux is bigger player.
          Linux is eating market after market exept desktop but the desktop marker ain't growing and users starts to use other devices all the time and spends more and more time on other devices.

Happy birthday Linux.

Comment

Linux on the desktop might still be a small player, but Chromebook is busy killing Windows laptops (and the desktop market is smaller than laptop market of course):

Comment

Wow...almost as old as I am.

Comment

In B2B: Chromebooks outsell Windows laptops

Comment

lolwut
                  android alone has larger installed base than all others combined(including desktops and tablets, non counted here)
                  and it had larger maret share long ago

INSTALLED BASE OF SMARTPHONES BY OPERATING SYSTEM AS OF 30 JUNE 2015

Rank . OS Platform . . . . Units . . . Market share Was Q1 . Main Manufacturers of current base
                  1 . . . . Android . . . . . . . 1,730 M . . . 76 % . . . . . . ( 75%) . . . . . . Samsung, Huawei, Sony, ZTE, LG, Lenovo/Motorola, Xiaomi, Coolpad, TCL-Alcatel
                  2 . . . . iOS . . . . . . . . . . . 449 M . . . 20 % . . . . . . ( 20 %) . . . . . . Apple
                  3 . . . . Windows Phone . . . 46 M . . . . 2 % . . . . . . ( 2 %) . . . . . . Microsoft(Nokia), Samsung, HTC
                  4 . . . . Blackberry . . . . . . 24 M . . . . 1 % . . . . . . ( 1 %) . . . . . . Blackberry
                  Others . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 30 M . . . . 1 %
                  TOTAL Installed Base . 2,284 M smartphones in use at end of Q2, 2015
                  Source: TomiAhonen Consulting Analysis 10 Aug 2015, based on manufacturer and industry data

Comment

I like the bit about "probably never run on anything other than AT hard disks".

Comment

Working...
                    X