NVIDIA 355 Beta Linux Driver Released, Closer To Supporting Wayland/Mir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 355 Beta Linux Driver Released, Closer To Supporting Wayland/Mir

Phoronix: NVIDIA 355 Beta Linux Driver Released, Closer To Supporting Wayland/Mir

NVIDIA this morning released their first public Linux driver beta in the 355.xx series, and it's quite an exciting update!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hi Michael,

How sure can you be that this is a step towards targeting wayland/mir?

Comment

If you grep through the extracted directory of the nvidia installer you can find since some releases the wayland, i think it was libnvidia-wayland or something, forgot what it was.
      I'd like to know when we can finally test nvidia on wayland...

Comment

What does full EGL support mean?

Comment

Originally posted by swoorup View Post
          Hi Michael,

How sure can you be that this is a step towards targeting wayland/mir?
          Accelerated Wayland depends on some of the EGL enhancements that were added.

Comment

So is EGL no longer just on 32bit and has 64bit support? If so, I wonder if the kwin EGL renderer backend will now work on NVIDIA....

I was also kind of hoping we would see some performance work on Shadow of Mordor - one can dream, I guess.

Comment

me@archlinux ~/Downloads/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-355.06 % LANG=C grep -R wayland
              Binary file libEGL_nvidia.so.0 matches
              Binary file 32/libEGL_nvidia.so.0 matches

me@archlinux ~/Downloads/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-355.06 % strings libEGL_nvidia.so.0 | grep wayland
              ?libnvidia-egl-wayland.so

me@archlinux ~/Downloads/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-355.06 % LANG=C grep -R nvidia-modeset
              Binary file libvdpau_nvidia.so.355.06 matches
              Binary file libnvidia-opencl.so.355.06 matches
              Binary file nvidia-installer matches
              Binary file nvidia_drv.so matches
              Binary file libcuda.so.355.06 matches
              Binary file libnvidia-glcore.so.355.06 matches
              Binary file libnvidia-glsi.so.355.06 matches
              Binary file libnvidia-cfg.so.355.06 matches
              Binary file libnvidia-ml.so.355.06 matches
              Binary file libnvidia-eglcore.so.355.06 matches
              Binary file libnvcuvid.so.355.06 matches
              kernel/common/inc/nv-modeset-interface.h: * nvidia-modeset UNIX kernel modules.
              kernel/common/inc/nv-modeset-interface.h: * The nvidia-modeset kernel module calls the nvidia kernel module's
              kernel/common/inc/nv-modeset-interface.h: * dependencies. The nvidia-modeset kernel module doesn't need to
              kernel/common/inc/nv-modeset-interface.h: * The RM API entry points which the nvidia-modeset kernel module should
              kernel/common/inc/nv-modeset-interface.h: * The nvidia-modeset kernel module should assign version_string
              kernel/common/inc/nv-modeset-interface.h: * mix nvidia and nvidia-modeset kernel modules from different
              kernel/Makefile: # nvidia-modeset.mod.o and nvidia-modeset/nv-modeset-interface.o. The kernel
              Binary file 32/libvdpau_nvidia.so.355.06 matches
              Binary file 32/libnvidia-opencl.so.355.06 matches
              Binary file 32/libcuda.so.355.06 matches
              Binary file 32/libnvidia-glcore.so.355.06 matches
              Binary file 32/libnvidia-glsi.so.355.06 matches
              Binary file 32/libnvidia-ml.so.355.06 matches
              Binary file 32/libnvidia-eglcore.so.355.06 matches
              Binary file 32/libnvcuvid.so.355.06 matches
              Binary file nvidia-modprobe matches
              .manifest:NVdriver nvidia-uvm nvidia-modeset nvidia nvidia0 nvidia1 nvidia2 nvidia3 nvidia4 nvidia5 nvidia6 nvidia7 nvidia-frontend
              .manifest:NVdriver nvidia-uvm.ko nvidia-uvm.ko.gz nvidia-modeset.ko nvidia-modeset.ko.gz nvidia.o nvidia.ko nvidia.o.gz nvidia.ko.gz nvidia0.ko nvidia0.ko.gz nvidia1.ko nvidia1.ko.gz nvidia2.ko nvidia2.ko.gz nvidia3.ko nvidia3.ko.gz nvidia4.ko nvidia4.ko.gz nvidia5.ko nvidia5.ko.gz nvidia6.ko nvidia6.ko.gz nvidia7.ko nvidia7.ko.gz nvidia-frontend.ko nvidia-frontend.ko.gz

Comment

Originally posted by ciupenhauer View Post
                What does full EGL support mean?
                They support EGL by specification. What they don't support are the platform specific extensions. Michael should probably change his wording.

Comment

Good news for nvidia owners... I must say I am very much tempted to ditch my 6850 and the OSS drivers for a good ol'nvidia card... But if doing so, why not ditch Linux altogether, and install windows 7, then ?

Come on, Khronos, we need vulkan for a good open source API implementation on all cards.

On a side note, I am tempted to start a draft for multi-gpu implementation in open source if I have some time to spare this year. Are there some starting points I could use ?

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
                    Good news for nvidia owners... I must say I am very much tempted to ditch my 6850 and the OSS drivers for a good ol'nvidia card... But if doing so, why not ditch Linux altogether, and install windows 7, then ?
                    Wait what? So you're saying the only reason you are staying with Linux is because of the graphic drivers? So is it an all or nothing open source drivers thing?

Seems kinda fucked up if you ask me.

Comment

Working...
                    X