Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 1.7 Series Turn Two Years Old, No Sign Of Wine 1.8

Phoronix: Wine 1.7 Series Turn Two Years Old, No Sign Of Wine 1.8

Today marks two years since the start of the Wine 1.7 development series. While it's been two years of doing bi-weekly development releases, there's no sign of Wine 1.8.0 being ready for release in the near future...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There are no plans for doing further Wine 1.6.x stable point releases, thus for now most users are encouraged to use the Wine 1.7 "development" series.
    Yep and that is a major problem for most people. 1.4 has the best compatibility by far and yet it doesn't work anymore. Wine just keeps sliding, compatibility continues to worsen and performance continues to degrade with each release. They continue developing infrastructural goals that can't be reached and they've wasted years doing so.

Either they are ignorant and stupid or they are malevolent microsoft tools.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
      Or most of them do it in their free time and have a real life too. Feel free to join them and speed up development a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
        how comes such smart and benevolent person like you didn't solve this issue yet?

Comment

Don't feed the troll.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

Or most of them do it in their free time and have a real life too. Feel free to join them and speed up development a bit.
            I used to spend a lot of time bug tracking, but I gave up. I can identify some bugs and as long as the code makes sense I can fix some bugs too. But I am in no position to fix the major problem.

The biggest problem they have is infrastructural. They need somebody to take over management of the project so that efforts can be redirected towards eliminating redundancy. It tries to do everything it needs internally and almost none is as good as native code that already exists. They've spent years on it.
            Last edited by duby229; 02 August 2015, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
              Don't feed the troll.
              Funny that it's always the first to call that is the troll.

Comment

Still waiting on DirectX 5 support here.... honestly the work the wine team does is very good. I only wish they had finished the oldest DirectX parts first before moving onto the new stuff. Most DX9 games work, and DX10/11/12 are looking less useful now that Steam is cranking out the ports. The stuff I'm waiting for is cleaning up multi window/surface GL support for 3d modellers, and DirectX 5 support for Warhammer Dark Omen. I submit a lot of test reports to the Wine Team regarding games/applications. The only work related thing I'd like is support for remote desktop sessions like citrix/goto assist to work.

Comment

1.6 was a huge improvment for me in regards to what apps worked on wine.

Comment

I'm waiting for playing game in linux without wrappers directly by driver implementing directX9
                    Last edited by Azrael5; 02 August 2015, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X