Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA's Tegra X1 Delivers Stunning Performance On Ubuntu Linux

Phoronix: NVIDIA's Tegra X1 Delivers Stunning Performance On Ubuntu Linux

NVIDIA's Tegra X1 64-bit ARM SoC running (non-Android) Linux is a beast! I was given access to a SHIELD Android TV that was configured to run Ubuntu Linux, which has led for some exciting benchmarks. In some workloads, the Tegra X1 comes up just shy of an Intel Core i3 "Broadwell" system. The Tegra X1 has me very excited about the future of ARMv8 hardware on Linux and NVIDIA's continued Tegra advancements.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not sure what the shield TV is supposed to be.
    It is not portable
    It is not cheap
    It is not fast
    Something for the green fanboys to buy, that turns out useless?

Comment

Originally posted by user82 View Post
      It is not portable
      It is not cheap
      It is not fast
      A high end Android console. I have no use for that but I do have the k1 shield tablet and I like it. I would like a X1 NUC.

Comment

Originally posted by user82 View Post
        It is not portable
        It is not cheap
        It is not fast
        I thought the same. You can build way faster x86 hardware for the same price at nearly the same size, with better upgradeability/expandability and Linux support. You can't do it at the same performance per watt but who cares: the Shield TV is not even portable. If this thing were tablet form factor I would be excited.

Michael, can you include web benchmarks in the future like kraken and octane?

Comment

Originally posted by Ferdinand View Post

A high end Android console. I have no use for that but I do have the k1 shield tablet and I like it. I would like a X1 NUC.
          Would be more enticing if you could stream PC games using any kind of hardware, not just nvidia. But I think the original question concerns this hardware running Linux, not Android: who'd want it?

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
            If someone spins up some PTS test profiles for them.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

If someone spins up some PTS test profiles for them.
              There is any manual/guide to create one? I would like to create these tests including downloading firefox nightly as the browser used to run them

Comment

"sadly there not yet being an updated Jetson development board for this 64-bit SoC, but I've heard it may come later in the year."

Dev board hardware a year *after* product launches? Seems like a backwards way to go about it. Why not put the dev hardware into dev's hands so you can have some real content before the product launches. What am I missing?

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post

There is any manual/guide to create one? I would like to create these tests including downloading firefox nightly as the browser used to run them
                  I've written about it several times in different threads and there is a bit of documentation in phoronix-test-suite/documentation/.

If you can make a bash script that sets up and runs the desired tests and outputs something to a file or stdout, from there it's trivial making the test profile portion and can be done easily in a separate thread. The making of the XML meta-data and script modifications comes down to just a few minutes of work... Main thing is just making a script to setup/run the test.

Or if you just look at some example test profiles by like first running: phoronix-test-suite benchmark c-ray xonotic

Then looking at the test profiles in ~/.phoronix-test-suite/test-profiles/pts/ it's very easy to modify from there. Always happy to answer questions about it in the forums / email / IRC / whatever.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post

I thought the same. You can build way faster x86 hardware for the same price at nearly the same size, with better upgradeability/expandability and Linux support. You can't do it at the same performance per watt but who cares: the Shield TV is not even portable. If this thing were tablet form factor I would be excited.

Tegra X1 Chromebooks (Smaug) are coming. They will run much longer and provide superior overall performance (2-3x GPU, ~1.2x CPU) versus the x86 Atom competition. Even an i3 can't keep up with the GPU, although the CPU is somewhat faster (20% average?).

With the outrageous Intel CPU desktop prices, this promises to push Intel to give away (a.k.a. provide "contra-revenue kickbacks") for more chips.

I'm also hoping for an updated Shield Tablet and Portable with the X1, given that both are currently sold-out. The X1 tablet should outperform anything in it's power envelope. Except maybe a QC SnapDragon 810 on LN2

Comment

Working...
                    X