Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Financials Still Pointing Lower

Phoronix: AMD Financials Still Pointing Lower

AMD yesterday issued a warning over their second quarter guidance that they expect them to come in below expectations. Things aren't looking good with their stock price being down by another 16% so far this morning...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If AMD lowered prices along with the 300 series rebranding they could do fine. But they rebranded the 290X as a 390X and added 4GB of VRAM and bumped the price up 1/3. People don't want 8GB graphic cards and pay more for it. Would rather have a 290X 4GB. IF the 3.5GB didn't matter for the 970 why would 8GB 290X's be better?

Comment

In Italy and Slovenia AMD laptops are rare. You can find:
      AMD A4 the most common.
      AMD A6 you can find it in the stores, but in few quantities
      AMD A8 very rare, only if you pre order it
      AMD A10 none/almost impossible to find one
      Basically over 90% laptops in the stores are intel.

The other desktop products are easy to find.

Comment

no good cpu, a garbage graphics drivers! what is the surprise?

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
          And loads of "counter-marketing"... competitors aren't much better in terms of performance/$$

Comment

cpu (bulldozer and beyond) is good, if you undervolt it

funny thing about amd gpus is that they are (were, for a long time) much better computational devices then nvidia ones
            but nvidia ones ran games better

Comment

Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
              And loads of "counter-marketing"... competitors aren't much better in terms of performance/$$
              True.. In fact often the opposite, you know factoring out electricity sometimes but very true.

Honestly samsung missed it's profit point 3.9 billion is that news here or only every hiccup at AMD? Intel also is having amazing bad 14nm yields do we talk about that or is it only what AMD amd has to pay for it's 14 nm node now and that's a lump of this money? Nvidia lowers it's IQ on graphics cards and even has a screen recording device sensor to fool recorders to make sure it doesn't get caught (wild speculation with at least 50% truth based on past instances of doing just that) do we talk about that or just AMD drivers being late? All of these companies at least have something to do with Linux come on lets get all the tech nitty gritty. I mean you posted the supposed AMD buyout nonsense post some stupid crap about Nvidia cheating benchmarks or providing websites with samples under strict guild lines what they can or cannot say (I'm sure you're you're not allowed to confirm that). Nvidia pro sites rammed fcat down our gullets until team green is on the short end. Come on Michael open the flood gates and make everyone fair game.

Edit: I do thank you for warning us about the new intel processor having trouble that's the kind of thing I hope to read about for I actually bought my 7870 because of one of your reviews. I trust this site but if it's going to be a rumor mill or just AMD click bait I'm out!.
              Last edited by nightmarex; 07 July 2015, 01:48 PM. Reason: forgot something:

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post

cpu (bulldozer and beyond) is good, if you undervolt it

funny thing about amd gpus is that they are (were, for a long time) much better computational devices then nvidia ones
                but nvidia ones ran games better

bulldrozer good? you are kidding? the single core performance is worst than in pentium 4 or athlon 2, amd drivers are a garbage in all plataforms in linux are without doubt the worst of the intel/nvidia/amd

Comment

bulldrozer good? you are kidding? the single core performance is worst than in pentium 4 or athlon 2, amd drivers are a garbage in all plataforms in linux are without doubt the worst of the intel/nvidia/amd
                  BD is not bad. Its problem was that AMD decided they didn't want to try and take the performance crown. After they sold the fabs they couldn't. The CMT architecture really needs a much better designed front end and more ALUs. It really does have the potential to be the highest performance architecture around. Sadly it's already too late for any of that.

Comment

bulldrozer good? you are kidding? the single core performance is worst than in pentium 4 or athlon 2
                    Just imagine Bulldozer done on 14 nm node ... Intel was on 32 nm back in 2010, same as AMD... AMD is still on 32 nm, while Intel moved nearly 4 years ago

To me it is "no fab" story, more then anything else... Without fabs it is not same AMD of course , from 2012. they continuosly restructuring because of that
                    Last edited by dungeon; 07 July 2015, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X