Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Next-Gen Phoronix Site Experience Is Almost Ready

Phoronix: The Next-Gen Phoronix Site Experience Is Almost Ready

The long overdue overhaul of the Phoronix.com site layout is almost complete... It will begin rolling out in beta in the days ahead. With this new site will come a brand new appearance along with a first-rate mobile experience...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hopefully this fixes the issues with there ever being any horizontal scrolling.
    Horizontal scrolling == extremely bad!

Comment

Thanks, but I still prefer this.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Phoronix: The Next-Gen Phoronix Site Experience Is Almost Ready

The long overdue overhaul of the Phoronix.com site layout is almost complete... It will begin rolling out in beta in the days ahead. With this new site will come a brand new appearance along with a first-rate mobile experience...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ming-Soon-Site
        Totally excited to see the results. I only realized after the forums change how badly the news work with a mobile phone

Comment

Originally posted by lunarcloud View Post
          Hopefully this fixes the issues with there ever being any horizontal scrolling.
          Horizontal scrolling == extremely bad!
          When there is a really wide system table for results? Is that the case you're referring to?
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
            Thanks, but I still prefer this.
            Unfortunately that old design isn't mobile friendly and most people back then didn't like it.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I hope this one will work correctly on a tablet, cause the current one is horrible
              Could you post a screenshot on that please?

Comment

There's a small issue that existed even in the old Phoronix and the current one as well. If you click "6 comments" under an article on the front page, or under an article, it opens to a random forum post in the accompanying thread. It should either open to the first post or the last unread post, if you've been there before. Most of the time it opens somewhere in the middle, on the Nth page etc.

I hope this will be fixed in the new version.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

When there is a really wide system table for results? Is that the case you're referring to?
                  Horizontal scrolling is a web design faux-pas. Rather, it's bad for a site to scroll both horizontally AND vertically.

Things should scale, or if they *MUST* horizontally scroll, like an image, you tap on it to open the image by itself so you can scroll and horizontally scroll just that element.

I noticed your mobile screenshots showing the ads going off the edge, meaning that your adverts require the user to horizontally scroll to see them, when it really should have been restricted to the width of the screen and the advert scaled back.

Comment

I see this design caught your eye : http://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum...613#post636613

And I perfectly agree

I think the complaints are about the forums taking ages (well, more like... seconds) to resize to fit a smartphone screen after loading. Might be a js thing, I am note quite sure.
                    The other complaints are about Images being too wide for the page on small screen devices, or the system information for your benchmarks.

IIRC, you are using flash to display benchmark results. This doesn't work on all mobiles phones.

Big thank you to Google for this new phoronix layout :P (Just kidding... But we should see more mobile-friendly websites soon).

Of course, thanks to Michael and Jorge for the new design

Comment

Working...
                    X