PlayOnLinux 5 To Switch From Being Written In Python To Using Java

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PlayOnLinux 5 To Switch From Being Written In Python To Using Java

Phoronix: PlayOnLinux 5 To Switch From Being Written In Python To Using Java

PlayOnLinux developers have shared that PlayOnLinux 5 development has begun and it will be a complete rewrite of this software used by Linux gamers. Rather than being written in Python, it will now be based in Java...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Switching to Java for more portability? Uh.... what? Every platform that supports wine supports python, and python takes much less maintenance than Java. Just about every linux distro (and probably freeBSD too) comes with some version of python pre-installed, but not Java. Mac also comes with python pre-installed, but I'm not sure about java. Also, if some of this is still using python, then they're effectively making this less portable since it now requires both python and java installed. This seems like a pretty bad idea to me. But whatever - I don't use PlayOnLinux and never have.

Comment

This is just stupid. Java sucks.

Comment

That decision makes not sense, especially because the games scripts will be written in python! Bah... I agree to the others comments.

Comment

They kept trying to justify using Java in their announcement, but it sounds like it will be a mess and they only did it simply because they wanted to rewrite POL.

Comment

What portability?

I never install java

Comment

Why not use Go, or even the recently-stable Rust? Both of those are cross-platform without needing to run inside a virtual machine language like Java. Simply install the go package for each target operating system and use flags to set the target. That would make more sense.

Code:
              GOOS=linux GOARCH=amd64 go build
              GOOS=darwin GOARCH=amd64 go build
              GOOS=windows GOARCH=amd64 go build

Comment

He talks about SonarQube but I am not sure that he is aware that the license for advanced features ranges in the 10k$

Comment

Java has a fully OO object model with interfaces and inheritance, strong typing, generics, exceptions, full unicode, lambdas, robust threading, memory protection/sandboxing, packaging/deployment infrastructure (jars+Maven), great performance (Hotspot JIT), cross-platform, thousands of libraries (Servlet infrastructure, REST, messaging, Spring, etc), robust development and debugging tools (Eclipse), many developers, and it's all open source (OpenJDK via GPL). The only language which can really compete is maybe C#. As a Java developer, I wouldn't mind more opportunities to contribute to the Linux desktop ecosystem, if they'd only get with some modern technology.
                  Last edited by hubick; 04 June 2015, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hubick View Post
                    Java has a fully OO object model with interfaces and inheritance, strong typing, generics, exceptions, full unicode, lambdas, robust threading, memory protection/sandboxing, packaging/deployment infrastructure (jars+Maven), great performance (Hotspot JIT), cross-platform, thousands of libraries (Servlet infrastructure, REST, messaging, Spring, etc), robust development and debugging tools (Eclipse), many developers, and it's all open source (OpenJDK via GPL). The only language which can really compete is maybe C#. As a Java developer, I wouldn't mind more opportunities to contribute to the Linux desktop ecosystem, if they'd only get with some modern technology.
                    Playonlinux is a tiny project and thousand of possible dependencies are no advantage, things like garbage collection inspires lazy quick and dirty solutions and is de-facto slower than a proper designed implementation. More than that all the java applications i know do have a slow interface (Using Matlab is a pain!). Perhaps there are reasons to love java i cannot understand but pol will not benefit from all this. . .

Comment

Working...
                    X