Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat Has Another Developer Now Working On Nouveau

Phoronix: Red Hat Has Another Developer Now Working On Nouveau

Red Hat is letting another one of their developers focus on improvements to Nouveau, the open-source NVIDIA Linux graphics driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's good news. Things like this is why Redhat is so good. Really cool.

Comment

nouveau needs this. driver is terrible. i can ignore it being slow and all, actually wanted to use it.. but in the bast i was greeted with weird artefacts in some applications while this time (tried just yesterday) it was making entire machine freeze. installing proprietary driver made freezes go away. so thats the sad story of nouveau.. oh yeah.. thanks for nothing nvidia. not gonna buy another nvidia card ever.

Comment

Originally posted by bitman View Post
        nouveau needs this. driver is terrible. i can ignore it being slow and all, actually wanted to use it.. but in the bast i was greeted with weird artefacts in some applications while this time (tried just yesterday) it was making entire machine freeze. installing proprietary driver made freezes go away. so thats the sad story of nouveau.. oh yeah.. thanks for nothing nvidia. not gonna buy another nvidia card ever.
        While Hans's addition is very welcome and equally appreciated (thanks RH!), it's a drop in the ocean compared to what's needed to make a reliable driver that seriously competes with nvidia on any level. They have a team of hundreds of developers working with full documentation and errata, with a multi-year head start compared to nouveau.

Nouveau has the equivalent of about 2 full-time developers working on it, attempting to support a much wider array of hardware than nvidia does (they've dropped support for everything pre-Fermi, while nouveau has functioning support for Riva TNT and on), with no documentation and limited access to software (big thanks to Valve/Collabora for extending the free-valve-games offer to mesa devs... already has been helpful in resolving a really bad nouveau bug) and hardware (it often takes months after release before any nouveau devs even see the new hardware for the first time while NVIDIA developers have been working on the drivers probably since before the chips were even made).

It used to be a lot more fine when 3d was a rare thing you did directly (like gaming), and where hangs were a bit more acceptable. However now you have stuff like gnome-shell/kwin/etc which gum up the works. I can tell you that nouveau is quite stable if you move to a less cutting-edge type of desktop, drop the 3d compositor/etc.

Comment

which is weird, but expected from RedHat. Nvidia could easily do that themselves, instead they are pissing at Open Source, Intel do it quite well and AMD respect OpenSource community but we know AMD could use some help. Must be some dirty-broken politics at RedHat.

Comment

Originally posted by lejeczek View Post
            which is weird, but expected from RedHat. Nvidia could easily do that themselves, instead they are pissing at Open Source, Intel do it quite well and AMD respect OpenSource community but we know AMD could use some help. Must be some dirty-broken politics at RedHat.
            What the fuck?

Comment

Originally posted by bitman View Post
              oh yeah.. thanks for nothing nvidia. not gonna buy another nvidia card ever.
              I find Nouveau to be ok, but yeah - I cringe when Linux people recommend Nvidia over AMD. The good news is that Nouveau developers seem to be polishing off a number of remaining OpenGL extensions which will help everyone.

Comment

Does anyone know the reason for RedHats obsession with Nouveau development? I mean, now we have credible alternatives with well documented and open source supported GPUs from Intel and AMD, it could do a much larger service to the Linux community to aid in more OpenGL 4 and Vulkan support for these GPUs.

Nvidia users have their binary - as Nvidia has decided for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post
                  Does anyone know the reason for RedHats obsession with Nouveau development? I mean, now we have credible alternatives with well documented and open source supported GPUs from Intel and AMD, it could do a much larger service to the Linux community to aid in more OpenGL 4 and Vulkan support for these GPUs.

Nvidia users have their binary - as Nvidia has decided for them.
                  This is just my own opinion. I don't know if Redhat shares it with me. Most people don't know what a GPU is. They just don't have to care. Many people do have nvidia hardware. Look at marketshare numbers, nvidia doesn't do too bad. That is a lot of hardware with no out of box support. Nouveau provides that. As a distribution Redhat really needs that driver. It's in their own best interest to help develop it.

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post
                    Does anyone know the reason for RedHats obsession with Nouveau development?
                    I wouldn't call paying two developers "obsession". They pay a lot of developers to work on all areas of the Linux ecosystem, having two of them work on nouveau isn't really that much. As to why nouveau and not other GPU drivers? Simple, nouveau needs it. AMD pays people to work on radeon, Intel has quite a big Linux team, so those GPUs are covered. But for open source Nvidia there's pretty much only volunteers, Nvidia's focus is on the blob. So RedHat steps in to fill this void.

Comment

Working...
                    X