Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Linux 4.0 Kernel Currently Has An EXT4 Corruption Issue

Phoronix: The Linux 4.0 Kernel Currently Has An EXT4 Corruption Issue

It appears that the current Linux 4.0.x kernel is plagued by an EXT4 file-system corruption issue. If there's any positive note out of the situation, it seems to mostly affect EXT4 Linux RAID users...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

After such major f*ck ups you you can't help but wonder how people dare call Linux a professional/desktop ready/serious OS. It hasn't been, and it won't be anytime soon unless someone does something radical to its insane development process.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      After such major f*ck ups you you can't help but wonder how people dare call Linux a professional/desktop ready/serious OS. It hasn't been, and it won't be anytime soon unless someone does something radical to its insane development process.
      Only an idiot would run a very little tested kernel in a production enviroment.

Comment

LOL @ the troll - too funny.

For the benefit of 3rd parties, no distro is shipping kernel 4.0 - their QA and torture test would have flagged this long before it could have been shipped.

Comment

For what it's worth, the problem affects >=4.0.2 only; someone mentioned in the Arch forums that reverting to 4.0.1 stopped the problems.

Comment

I run Arch. Luckily I run XFS

Comment

Originally posted by roberth View Post

Only an idiot would run a very little tested kernel in a production enviroment.
              Define "thoroughly tested". Or maybe I reckon that has something to do with the missing QA/QA in the Linux kernel.

Originally posted by david_lynch View Post

LOL @ the troll - too funny.

For the benefit of 3rd parties, no distro is shipping kernel 4.0 - their QA and torture test would have flagged this long before it could have been shipped.
              Look in the mirror. For some curious and outright illogical reasons you believe distro maintainers are some magicians who can see the bugs which affect rarely used software/hardware configurations.

Anyways, I've stopped. No real devs here whatsoever. Only theoreticians.
              Last edited by birdie; 19 May 2015, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Does the affect Linux 4.0 only, or also affect Linux 4.1 (which I use)? I ran 4.0 from Feb until 4.1 came out as rc-1 at the beginning of this month on two different machines, both with an encrypted ext4 filesystem over a RAID 0 of three disks each without triggering this bug. A patch is said to be out for 4.0.3 c, wonder what this means for 41. My version of 4.1 was downloaded on May 2, was the offending commit before or after that time?

Comment

Uh... Windows isn't any better. Several times a year they release updates that may cause severe security risks or some sort of integrity/stability problems. That's coming from a single source that is supposed to have fully reliable updates, and many times people have to actually reinstall Windows or revert the update in order to get their PCs usable again.

Linux is a different story. Anybody who is operating a high-priority workstation or server is not going to be dumb enough to use cutting edge software on it. There are plenty of distributions out there that don't support the 4.0 kernel yet and nor should they.

When you have something as massive as a kernel, mistakes are inevitable. It doesn't matter what the product is, it doesn't even have to be PC related. For example, many car manufacturers, no matter how reputable, often have to make recalls.
                  Last edited by schmidtbag; 20 May 2015, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    Uh... Windows isn't any better. Several times a year they release updates that may cause severe security risks or some sort of integrity/stability problems. That's coming from a single source that is supposed to have fully reliable updates, and many times people have to actually reinstall Windows or revert the update in order to get their PCs usable again.

Linux is a different story. Anybody who is operating a high-priority workstation or server is not going to be dumb enough to use cutting edge software on it. There are plenty of distributions out there that don't support the 4.0 kernel yet and nor should they.

When you have something as massive as a kernel, mistakes are inevitable. It doesn't matter what the product is, it doesn't even have to be PC related. For example, many car manufacturers, no matter how reputable, often have to make recalls.
                    Actually this does raise a good question, What is Linux's CI and unit testing infrastructure like? The answers I could find seem to suggest that there is none, other than some stuff downstream that RedHat and possibly SUSE do.

Comment

Working...
                    X