Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oculus Rift Suspends Linux Development To Focus On Windows

Phoronix: Oculus Rift Suspends Linux Development To Focus On Windows

While Oculus Rift has seen Linux support up to now, the Facebook-owned VR company has now suspended Linux and OS X development to better focus on Windows...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Probably means that directx 12 development is nearly finished and they are behind schedule.

Comment

The next thing will be moving the whole thing to the xbox. At least if Carmack is still there...

Comment

Just reading it earlier, I interest in Oculus Rift is gone. Waiting for HTC Vibe

Comment

I am surprised they don't include OS X, Mac people seem like the type that would buy an expensive addon with limited use for an unique some would say superior experience. Kidding of course. I hope HTC and valve will see the opportunity to push their standards and tech into the market as the new leader. Most of the big game engines target win/OSX/linux and wouldn't want to give that support up for VR.

Comment

I am pretty glad. This Oculus Rift gimmick stuff is all that people have been talking about. I am glad thats going to die down a bit now in Linux circles. I can also use this as ammunition against teaching it at the University. Now all we need is for this locked down tablet crap to piss off and we can get back to actual cool stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Deavir View Post
              I am surprised they don't include OS X, Mac people seem like the type that would buy an expensive addon with limited use for an unique some would say superior experience.
              They would get into queue at 4 am if apple releases a similar addon - probably named: iVR - and markets it the way mac users love to get evangelized.

Comment

Why would Oculus be focusing on OS X development? There isn't a consumer-facing Mac sold today that even meets the minimum requirements to use an Oculus Rift. I would even say the dual-tahiti in a fully-upgraded Mac Pro might only barely make the cut.

This same problem applies to Linux - Linux usage is low from a gaming standpoint and most Linux gamers don't buy $300+ video cards.

Comment

Originally posted by metalliax View Post
                  Why would Oculus be focusing on OS X development? There isn't a consumer-facing Mac sold today that even meets the minimum requirements to use an Oculus Rift. I would even say the dual-tahiti in a fully-upgraded Mac Pro might only barely make the cut.

This same problem applies to Linux - Linux usage is low from a gaming standpoint and most Linux gamers don't buy $300+ video cards.

Then they should have dropped OS X and kept Linux, it would support the view that they strive to be cross platform. The videocard will be the the cheaper part of the upgrade compared with the headset, users of one will pay for the other. Like from the book tipping point they are going to piss off a lot of mavens.

Comment

So, Apple customers are not "consumers". Wow, that's a weird move. I know that OpenGL on it is sucking, but still...

Comment

Working...
                    X