Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xubuntu To Replace Abiword With Parts Of LibreOffice

Phoronix: Xubuntu To Replace Abiword With Parts Of LibreOffice

Lightweight Ubuntu derivative Xubuntu is planning to replace the Abiword open-source word processor with LibreOffice in Xubuntu 15.10. The Xfce-powered desktop distribution also plans to do away with the GIMP image editor in this next release following Xubuntu 15.04...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good decision

Fedora should be following this as well:

My comments here: FedoraForum

There is really no need to stick with "Midori" or "Abiword" or "Gnumeric". It would always be better to stick with the commonly most used tools rather than with tools that might generally be de-installed (and replaced) by "Firefox/Chrome" or "Libreoffice".

Comment

Those are the apps I always remove after clean xubuntu install. Libreoffice, kolourpaint, okular and some other go in.

Comment

was it xfce or lxde that is today totaly useless because there are more comfortable and resourcefriendly alternatives availible today? I thought cinemon or matter was this alternative which is the modern one again?

Originally posted by Candy View Post

I think you are outdated or is here distrowatch wrong but I see not a installed version of abiword but libreoffice, and firefox is installed, too. maybe its not the default browser but thats not that bad.

fedora is not targeted on brainless apes that will not use it because they have to press 5 extra keys affer installation <Super> fir <enter> (set default bla) <enter>

At least fedora has a good appshop, ubuntu has not fixed its broken one.

or do you talk about a spin (is that even official?) and midori is a good browser if you care about resources its a good thing maybe to buggy I did not use it for some months. If you care about standard stuff you stick to standard fedora image anyway (gnome)
        Last edited by blackiwid; 15 April 2015, 11:36 AM.

Comment

So long as I can just get GIMP from the official repos, I have no problem with this.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
            I think you are outdated or is here distrowatch wrong but I see not a installed version of abiword but libreoffice, and firefox is installed, too. maybe its not the default browser but thats not that bad.
            I should have been more specific: Of course I am talking about the Xfce Spin of Fedora.

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
            If you care about standard stuff you stick to standard fedora image anyway (gnome)
            Well thanks for your opinion. I (and the memebers of my family) decided to switch all systems to Xfce 4.12 once Fedora 22 is out. It would be nice to have Libreoffice and Firefox as default rather than Abiword, Gnumeric and Midori. While the last named tools of course have their usage, they otoh are not commonly used as e.g. Libreoffice or Firefox. It's just two lines in the Metapakage assignment. Nothing wrong with Xfce by the way. It's a powerful desktop experience that get's work done.

Comment

browsers suck anyway. it has a reason people use whenever possible a app instead of the website in smartphones. web results in bad designs that scale horrible and drains batteries or steals cputime on pcs with power supply.

Webmail sucks had to reset my fathers account because he used that garbage on a pc in a hotel. but even without such security problems you get used to a interface from a vendor, so creates a vendor lockin. even google dont except their users to use the horrible webinterface (and thats even one of the best webinterfaces gmx and co have horrible ones) and preinstalls a mail app in android.

so give me a tapatalk like opensource client and I delete every stinking buggy slow garbage browser. Maybe even send with rss or nntp the hole articles instead of teasers and I am happy. replaced youtube already with some scripts and a rss/nntp newsreader (first thuderbird now gnus) but there even more convinient (that means always less good solutions) tools for inpatients like minitube.

the only reason this shit browsers exist is to sell advertisments and force you coorperate idententy desings instead of you theme your tools like you like it.

Comment

Abiword and gnumeric are pretty much outdated beyond redemption. Sort of reminds me people using Lotus Word or Lotus-1-2-3. And yeah, I have the Lotus smartsuite on my computer, but not by choice. Legacy and all.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
                  Abiword and gnumeric are pretty much outdated beyond redemption. Sort of reminds me people using Lotus Word or Lotus-1-2-3. And yeah, I have the Lotus smartsuite on my computer, but not by choice. Legacy and all.
                  Why don't you remove them

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post

My comments here: FedoraForum

There is really no need to stick with "Midori" or "Abiword" or "Gnumeric". It would always be better to stick with the commonly most used tools rather than with tools that might generally be de-installed (and replaced) by "Firefox/Chrome" or "Libreoffice".
                    Chrome and especially Firefox are bloated, who would want to replace Midori for them?

Comment

Working...
                    X