AMD FreeSync Support On Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD FreeSync Support On Linux?

Phoronix: AMD FreeSync Support On Linux?

With this month's release of the Catalyst 15.3 Beta for Windows, FreeSync Technology support was added. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like any Linux support is imminent...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This would suck. I hope it does arrive with the AMDGPU upgrade (whenever THAT arrives).

Also, damn, AMD! Talk about exaggerating the tearing effect in that image!

Comment

No stuttering. No tearing. No Linux.

Comment

is gsync on linux?

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
          is gsync on linux?
          They added support for it in 340.17 beta: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/751890

Comment

Should've mentioned that G-Sync is working perfectly fine under Linux by simply checking a box in the NVIDIA driver settings.

Comment

GSync seams to work for most Linux games, here a test report :

Hi I have a pretty decent machine powered with an I7 3770 cpu, GTX - Forum post on GamingOnLinux.com

Comment

I hope AMD realizes they will lose any potential foothold on Linux gaming at this rate. That may become a significant problem once SteamOS is finally stable and ready for the masses. I'm sure Nvidia isn't worried at all.

I have no reason to feel impressed by AMD so far as a potential customer.
                Last edited by Styromaniac; 25 March 2015, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Styromaniac View Post
                  I hope AMD realizes they will lose any potential foothold on Linux gaming at this rate. That may become a significant problem once SteamOS is finally stable and ready for the masses. I'm sure Nvidia isn't worried at all.

I have no reason to feel impressed by AMD so far as a potential customer.
                  Agreed... though, given that proof-of-concept has been made for exploiting Intel Management Engine and AMD is starting with APUs in their plans to add a TrustZone ARM core to their chips, I'll probably stay with AMD CPUs next time I update my computer. (Though I may end up having to grab an older model by the time I do upgrade)

Comment

Anyone compared freesync or gsync with simply using compton to remove tearing?

Comment

Working...
                    X