Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epic Games Starts Developer Grants For Unreal Engine 4

Phoronix: Epic Games Starts Developer Grants For Unreal Engine 4

Epic Games has announced today the start of developer grants for Unreal Engine 4 games where they've setup a five million dollar budget for the cause...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Anyone know the status of Unreal Editor on Linux? I'm looking to take on a side project.

Comment

not a good idea imho... use special branches instead of the mainstream ones.

And wait for 4.7 release.

Comment

They have a wiki.

After over a year in maintenance mode, the official Unreal Engine Wiki is now permanently offline. These resources now live on a new community-run Unreal Engine Community Wiki — https://unrealcommunity.wiki/! You will be able to find content from the official Unreal Engine Wiki at ue4community.wiki/legacy, where we’re working closely with the curators to ensure a complete mirror of the legacy knowledge base remains. If you’d like to join hundreds of community members and contribute to the new ...

Please note that Linux UE4 Editor is NOT production worthy yet as there are many issues that need to be ironed out. We welcome everyone to try it out and report any bugs they might find, but please do not rely on it for any of your serious projects - your safest bet for UE development right now is still under Windows.
        But it should work.

After over a year in maintenance mode, the official Unreal Engine Wiki is now permanently offline. These resources now live on a new community-run Unreal Engine Community Wiki — https://unrealcommunity.wiki/! You will be able to find content from the official Unreal Engine Wiki at ue4community.wiki/legacy, where we’re working closely with the curators to ensure a complete mirror of the legacy knowledge base remains. If you’d like to join hundreds of community members and contribute to the new ...

Comment

I wasn't really interested in using it to build something but rather helping with the "porting" effort. Maybe I'll just pull it down and see what work remains to be done but sometimes these things are so disorganized that it's hard to figure out who's working on what.

Comment

Support for newer clang/llvm versions is needed. Or at least the build system should check and give an error when it's the wrong version.

With clang a 3.7 recent revision I get this
            Code:
            Runtime/Core/Public/Linux/LinuxPlatformFile.h(40,7) :  error: 'IterateDirectory' overrides a member function but is not marked 'override' [-Werror,-Winconsistent-missing-override]
                    bool IterateDirectory(const TCHAR* Directory, FDirectoryVisitor& Visitor);
                         ^
            (and many more like this). I guess that's a warning that got introduced since 3.5 or 3.3 which they recommend.
            Maybe disabling this specific warning would also work, but it's not enabled in any Makefile and I didn't have the motivation yet to figure out where it gets set.
            Stuff like that needs to be done I guess.

Comment

Btw ignore the Arch warnings, just use packages from AUR and follow the instructions.. the wiki is a bit outdated.

Also visit #UE4Linux on Freenode

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                I wasn't really interested in using it to build something but rather helping with the "porting" effort. Maybe I'll just pull it down and see what work remains to be done but sometimes these things are so disorganized that it's hard to figure out who's working on what.
                It works fine for the most part, the only things missing are some glitches here and there (like not being able to rename files in the content browser).

The part that could use some more work is additions to the Linux dependency autoinstaller. Right now it supports only apt-get and zypper systems (the latter courtesy by me). RCL is happy to accept any such contributions.

The biggest issue with the engine on Linux right now, at least talking about UT4, is sound support. The sound is spatial, but wrongly so, you can hear it from the side while the action is going on in front of you etc. So you can't tell the direction whatsoever at the moment.

Originally posted by haagch View Post
                Support for newer clang/llvm versions is needed. Or at least the build system should check and give an error when it's the wrong version.

With clang a 3.7 recent revision I get this
                Code:
                Runtime/Core/Public/Linux/LinuxPlatformFile.h(40,7) :  error: 'IterateDirectory' overrides a member function but is not marked 'override' [-Werror,-Winconsistent-missing-override]
                        bool IterateDirectory(const TCHAR* Directory, FDirectoryVisitor& Visitor);
                             ^
                (and many more like this). I guess that's a warning that got introduced since 3.5 or 3.3 which they recommend.
                Maybe disabling this specific warning would also work, but it's not enabled in any Makefile and I didn't have the motivation yet to figure out where it gets set.
                Stuff like that needs to be done I guess.
                Yeap, they require 3.3, but they haven't got around to figuring out how to enforce that in their build scripts.

Comment

Working...
                X