Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why The X.Org Foundation Wants To Join The SPI

Phoronix: Why The X.Org Foundation Wants To Join The SPI

X.Org members will soon be voting on whether the X.Org Foundation should dissolve its 501(c)3 state and become a project of SPI...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i was getting the feeling that xorg was getting more political over the years (maybe even socio-political ?)
    one should never go full political...

what ever happened to dope smoking neckbeards that couldn't give less shit about shallow things like this ?

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
      i was getting the feeling that xorg was getting more political over the years (maybe even socio-political ?)
      one should never go full political...

what ever happened to dope smoking neckbeards that couldn't give less shit about shallow things like this ?
      They grew up and had kids, but wanted to keep programming free software, so they needed money. Then the projects they were working on grew, so leadership was needed. In many cases, dope smoking neckbeards don't make the best business leaders, so the business has problems. Then some of them came up with the idea, "Screw it all, let someone else deal with the day to day, I just want to make neat things!".

Short answer, they're still there, but even dope smoking neckbeards have responsibilities.

Comment

conferences don't pay for themselves (especially when you sponsor students / those who couldn't otherwise afford to attend). neither do the machines which run all the infrastructure. the domain name isn't free and doesn't renew itself, and we found out the hard way that it shouldn't be assigned to people (when network solutions said 'we've just renewed the domain for another ten years for you, since we couldn't get in touch with the guy listed as owning it'). and so on, and so forth.

Comment

I thought it is considered good practice to write out abbreviations/acronyms once first time they appear...

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
            I thought it is considered good practice to write out abbreviations/acronyms once first time they appear...
            You often need the background knowledge to (re)write about the topic yourself in order to understand Phoronix articles.
            Sadly.
            Michael, do you hear this?

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
              +1

Originally posted by Article
              X.Org members will soon be voting on whether the X.Org Foundation should dissolve its 501(c)3 state and become a project of SPI.
              This should be immediately followed by:
              - Who/What is SPI.
              - What is 501(c)3.

The second one is explained close to the end of the article. I think its bad practice to just assume everyone knows what SPI and 501(c)3 is...

Comment

Originally posted by Wildfire View Post
                +1

This should be immediately followed by:
                - Who/What is SPI.
                - What is 501(c)3.

The second one is explained close to the end of the article. I think its bad practice to just assume everyone knows what SPI and 501(c)3 is...
                I guess it's just considered 'good practice' to assume people would use a search engine and do the digging for that kind of information itself. And of course all the fun that comes with filtering out the irrelevant.
                Hi

Comment

Honestly if you read the article in full and didn't understand 501(c)3 and SPI was... Well I just don't believe you didn't. You can't be that stupid.
                  I hadn't a clue, but it was obvious 501(c)3 was tax-exemption status, and SPI was some kind of umbrella organisation for smaller non-profits.

Sometimes...

Comment

Yeah, if you're not a US citizen then you need to google.

Comment

Working...
                    X