Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why You Don't See Coreboot Supported By Many Modern Intel Systems

Phoronix: Why You Don't See Coreboot Supported By Many Modern Intel Systems

While Coreboot has been ported to a number of older ThinkPads and other outdated Intel motherboards and laptops, you don't see many modern Intel systems supporting Coreboot. The reason for the lack of Coreboot support is due to a "feature" introduced with Haswell...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Interesting

I don't know which side of the fence to come down on here. Either you have the hardware to keep the system secure or you risk compromise. I suspect that somebody will come up with an open source solution but I really have to wonder if CoreBoot is really that important.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
      I don't know which side of the fence to come down on here. Either you have the hardware to keep the system secure or you risk compromise.
      It's actually quite simple, use the third option: Boot Guard also has a "measured boot" mode in which the chipset sends a hash of the bootblock to the TPM before running it. The hash is stored in a register that isn't writable by the CPU.
      That way, if you want to ensure integrity, you can "seal" a secret in the TPM against that hash, and the TPM will only hand it out if that register contains the right value.

If someone else want to take over the machine, they can simply overwrite the bootblock (and everything else in flash), but it won't go unnoticed.

Unfortunately there's hardly an incentive for Intel to promote that mode more, or for the hardware vendors to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
        I don't know which side of the fence to come down on here. Either you have the hardware to keep the system secure or you risk compromise. I suspect that somebody will come up with an open source solution but I really have to wonder if CoreBoot is really that important.
        Who says we must choose between using "hardware to keep the system secure" and risking compromise? Isn't this the same bogus justification given by peddlers of DRM technology? I suspect this is going to get worse before it gets better, with more and more anti-consumer locked down hardware, forced on us in the name of "security".

Comment

I guess I will stick to my X220 now for a very very long time. No big problem anyway because I would only buy refurbished 1-2 year old modells anyway and because every successor of the x220 sucks really bad for different reasons the x260 + 1-2 years till it gets cheap refurbished are 3 years anyway at least. just to be clear what I think what I hate about the successors.

X230 no big difference except not so good keyboard its also a ok version
          x240 no mouse buttons and only 1 ram slot max 8gb ram
          x250 1 ram slot 8gb ram max.

and because I am no heavy mobile user I gain from the successors anyway nothing, and ahh ok a better gpu doesnt give me anything too. so this releases are just bad for me anyway. basicly expensive backsteps.

I would maybe like bigger resolution but the mobile keyboards even from lenovo are not good enough to work longer times anyway so fuck it, I put it onto the docking station anyway.

hope they release some time soon a version of libreboot coreboot is nice but only libreboot is the real deal.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
            Who says we must choose between using "hardware to keep the system secure" and risking compromise?
            Indeed. Why the hell can't I choose how much is my system exposed to security risks?

Boot Guard is a kick in the balls I didn't expect from Intel. Not even allowing us to opt out is really, really evil. Apple scale evil.

Comment

So, basically, Intel thinks it is okay to feed us with their UEFI blobs malware and then mumble something about "guards". Sure, jail needs some guards. The only prob is that it is user who is being guarded and Intel's crap is going to SHOOT user on doing "wrong things". And it is Intel who defines what is "wrong" to do. And escaping their jail obviously one of things which are "wrong".

Congrats, Intel. You're now #1 malware manufacturer in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
                Indeed. Why the hell can't I choose how much is my system exposed to security risks?
                "Because they already decided. And they decided not to trust YOU".

Maybe someone forgot, but these who are going to give up essential liberty to obtain little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. And that's how "trusted" computing treachery ends...

So once you hear about "trusted" computing, you can be pretty sure it is all about locking YOU outside of "your" system to prevent you from being able to control your hardware. In fact you can't even consider yourself owner since someone else decides how you're going to use that crap.
                Last edited by SystemCrasher; 10 February 2015, 01:53 PM.

Comment

I wish Lenovo (or some company) would decide to officially support Coreboot.

I wish Google would make a successor to the Chromebook Pixel.
                  They should make a laptop that is what Nexus is to phones and tablets.

Does Intel Boot Guard hamper NSA?

Comment

LOL I reported this days ago in another coreboot thread and nobody cared.
                    ## VGA ##
                    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                    X