Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME's OPW Women Program Becomes Outreachy

Phoronix: GNOME's OPW Women Program Becomes Outreachy

The Outreach Program for Women (OPW) by GNOME has now been renamed to Outreachy...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"We are planning to expand the program to more participants from underrepresented backgrounds in the future."

Great

Comment

Well... That's a step in the right direction anyway, now they just need to drop the "under represented minority" part of it, and instead operate as outreach to any individual seeking to become involved in the GNOME project regardless of gender, race, creed, sexuality, disability, etc, etc, etc... with projects being chosen on a purely meritocratic basis and then it'll actually be a useful societal contribution as opposed to a political game.

Comment

Limiting the program to certain minorities is discrimination, which is never good, even if it is well-meant. The new name is also a bit too silly in my opinion.

Comment

Yeah, it feels like clingy, needy, outreachy all fit together in a horrible triad.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
            Limiting the program to certain minorities is discrimination, which is never good, even if it is well-meant. The new name is also a bit too silly in my opinion.
            But clearly discrimination is the oppression of a minority group by the cis white male misogynist transphobic racist (insert other trending tumblrisms here) majority, it obviously has nothing to do with one or more groups being singled out and treated differently. That's why Minorities can't be the perpetrators of discrimination nor can programs that target them, right?
            Last edited by Luke_Wolf; 04 February 2015, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
              That's why Minorities can't be the perpetrators of discrimination nor can programs that target them, right?
              Yeah, some nazis on the street, minorities, cant be discriminating a lot of black guys.

Dont try to find excuses, its descriminiation.

Comment

What defines an underrepresented group? Just the people they choose to have sex with?

Weird.

Comment

I want that chair. Where did you get that chair?

Comment

Originally posted by gotwig View Post
                    Yeah, some nazis on the street, minorities, cant be discriminating a lot of black guys.

Dont try to find excuses, its descriminiation.
                    You need to get your sarcasm detector fixed.

Also Guys... Should I check my privilege?... let's see... oh no that can't be... It's.... It's over 9000

Comment

Working...
                    X