Don't Want systemd? Try GNU Hurd, But It Still Lacks 64-bit, Audio & USB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't Want systemd? Try GNU Hurd, But It Still Lacks 64-bit, Audio & USB

Phoronix: Don't Want systemd? Try GNU Hurd, But It Still Lacks 64-bit, Audio & USB

While it doesn't get talked about too much these days, GNU Hurd remains under active development. A GNU Hurd developer has shared a status update about the state of Hurd in 2015 and how you can start contributing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Don't Want systemd? Try GNU Hurd, But It Still Lacks 64-bit, Audio & USB

While it doesn't get talked about too much these days, GNU Hurd remains under active development. A GNU Hurd developer has shared a status update about the state of Hurd in 2015 and how you can start contributing...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-Status-Update
    That's exactly the same thing as equating systemd with linux. And that's so, so wrong...

You can use linux without systemd. As long as people still care it will continue to be so. You don't have to let people push you into half baked junk.

Comment

In my opinion people should not be forced to leave Linux if doesn't like systemd, and that is the root of the trouble with systemd, they force you to use it cause some devs like Gnome KDE want to use some systemd features, or they say make your own implementation of x feature to run it. From the developer POV is ok, they are free to use systemd dependency but from the user side it looks like a imposement, from the POV of distro maintainers and package mantainers is a imposement, a requeriment to run X or Y software, wich leds him to use it to have some software but that could make some of his users unhappy and leave the distro. Linux is maintained by coorporations as well systemd, which tends to look like a Corporation software and it's heading the course of linux, which is fine cause Coorps maintain linux while Linus is getting fat every day giving some talks around the globe and gives a shit. This is a contradiction to people saying that Linux is free of the evil hands of coorps like MS, cause not. Linux is just another corp product and people doesn't know that. So use GNU HURD is a good idea, but just to not be folished by the "freedom" of Linux.

Comment

When a stable release of a system with the GNU kernel comes out what are we going to call it? A Linux distro with the GNU kernel?

Comment

Originally posted by cocklover View Post
          In my opinion people should not be forced to leave Linux if doesn't like systemd, and that is the root of the trouble with systemd, they force you to use it cause some devs like Gnome KDE want to use some systemd features, or they say make your own implementation of x feature to run it. From the developer POV is ok, they are free to use systemd dependency but from the user side it looks like a imposement, from the POV of distro maintainers and package mantainers is a imposement, a requeriment to run X or Y software, wich leds him to use it to have some software but that could make some of his users unhappy and leave the distro. Linux is maintained by coorporations as well systemd, which tends to look like a Corporation software and it's heading the course of linux, which is fine cause Coorps maintain linux while Linus is getting fat every day giving some talks around the globe and gives a shit. This is a contradiction to people saying that Linux is free of the evil hands of coorps like MS, cause not. Linux is just another corp product and people doesn't know that. So use GNU HURD is a good idea, but just to not be folished by the "freedom" of Linux.
          Linux is, for the most part, a meritocracy. Those who do the work are the ones who decide direction. Anyone that doesn't like systemd should put in the work to maintain a non-systemd version (ala slackware & gentoo). If you are incapable of doing so then switch to slackware and gentoo and complain only to them. But at the end of the day developers decide and users are only along for the ride. A large portion of developers have spoken: systemd is here to stay.
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by toguro123 View Post
            When a stable release of a system with the GNU kernel comes out what are we going to call it? A Linux distro with the GNU kernel?
            The correct term is GNU/Linux so why should we use the name Linux again when the Linuxkernel is removed? the gnu tools are not magicly linux tools today or did I miss something?

it fucks me more up if people talk aobut linux but mean android. Either you think of linux as a os, then its your term for gnu/linux, or you think it as a kernel, but then cant a OS be a kernel, like android be a linux.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
              The
              correct term is GNU/Linux so why should we use the name Linux again
              when the Linuxkernel is removed? the gnu tools are not magicly linux
              tools today or did I miss something?

it fucks me more up if people talk aobut linux but mean android. Either
              you think of linux as a os, then its your term for gnu/linux, or you
              think it as a kernel, but then cant a OS be a kernel, like android be a
              linux.
              I was being sarcastic....

Comment

wow thats some flamebait of a title

no thx on bout, il stay with linux for now

Comment

Originally posted by toguro123 View Post
                  It'd just be GNU/Hurd (I think this is already used)

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                    Linux is, for the most part, a meritocracy. Those who do the work are the ones who decide direction. Anyone that doesn't like systemd should put in the work to maintain a non-systemd version (ala slackware & gentoo). If you are incapable of doing so then switch to slackware and gentoo and complain only to them. But at the end of the day developers decide and users are only along for the ride. A large portion of developers have spoken: systemd is here to stay.
                    Those who works have the power and are Corporations empleyeds(Red Hat, Intel and Google), they act in his Company Name and objectives not thinking about users, and probably those GIT commits have preference over individual commits. Linux is a meritocracy right, probably but a meritocracy where only a few grup have the final word. And that come from Corporations. Is more like a Oligarchy
                    A large portions of developers chose to use systemd cause it absorbs other programs and they need, others chose to use extra features. But Half of them was forced.

Comment

Working...
                    X