NVIDIA's Latest Maxwell Line-Up Against AMD With Catalyst On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA's Latest Maxwell Line-Up Against AMD With Catalyst On Linux

Phoronix: NVIDIA's Latest Maxwell Line-Up Against AMD With Catalyst On Linux

Last week NVIDIA released the GeForce GTX 960, a great $200 GPU for Linux gamers that is based on their new power-efficient Maxwell architecture. On launch-day I delivered some initial performance figures of the full GeForce GTX 900 series line-up along with other graphics cards and following that I did many new NVIDIA Linux GPU tests going back to the GeForce GTX 400 (Fermi) series. Not part of those tests were any AMD Radeon graphics cards while in this article are such numbers in making a new 18-way graphics card comparison with the latest Linux graphics drivers.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As we saw in a previous benchmark, Catalyst 14.12 introduces serious performance regressions for anything but one card. It makes no sense to use it for benchmarks. Even though a newer version does not exist yet, older ones do and could be used.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
      It makes no sense to use it for benchmarks.
      It makes no sense to use Catalyst at all.
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I want piglit tests nvidia against fglrx and radeonsi.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
          As long as you're going to play games the chances are higher to be be able to start a game with catalyst.
          X-Plane, Train Fever, Sanctum 2 and more refuse to start with radeon drivers ...

Comment

wanna bet?

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
              As we saw in a previous benchmark, Catalyst 14.12 introduces serious performance regressions for anything but one card. It makes no sense to use it for benchmarks. Even though a newer version does not exist yet, older ones do and could be used.
              No, the older ones couldn't be used for lack of Ubuntu 14.10 compatibility and also R9 285 compatibility.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by siavashserver
                Neither does releasing a half baked driver. That's the purpose of the benchmarks after all

Happy opensource radeon driver user
                I think the point here was benchmarking cards, not driver versions against each other. That means every card should use the best available to be the closest to its potential power.

It does for GCN cards and for anyone who needs OpenGL 4.x.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
                  X-Plane, Train Fever, Sanctum 2 and more refuse to start with radeon drivers ...
                  Don't take it wrong, but that's far from my experience. In X-Plane mesa is blacklisted but that can be manually overriden. Sanctum 2 works fine on radeonsi Kubuntu 14.10 64 bit after you tweak the game launch script (end of lines in DOS style, rather than Unix). Train Fever works perfectly for me on radeonsi (although the game could run a bit faster).

Right now, the only games I cannot start with mesa are the Metro Redux games (incomplete OpenGL 4.0 support) and Dead Island with the main characters (the game segfaults with mesa).

Comment

GTX 760 beats R290 in several cases

Comment

Working...
                    X