Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC-BSD 10.1 vs. Ubuntu 14.10 vs. Fedora 21 Benchmarks

Phoronix: PC-BSD 10.1 vs. Ubuntu 14.10 vs. Fedora 21 Benchmarks

For your viewing pleasure today are some benchmarks of PC-BSD 10.1 compared to Ubuntu 14.10 and Fedora 21 when testing with both the GCC and LLVM/Clang compilers.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I for one would certainly be interested in more PC-BSD benchmarks/testing.

Comment

I like to see every once in a while how the other non-Linux guys are doing every once in a while, so there's interest from me if that's what you're looking for.

I'm just impressed that PC-BSD was the fastest in one of the benchmarks and was fairly close to Linux in many others. It's also a good indicator as to where FreeBSD/PC-BSD has issues as far as performance goes, like for example, the filesystem benchmarks and Clang lacking in OpenMP are the two biggest negatives for it right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
        I for one would certainly be interested in more PC-BSD benchmarks/testing.
        Second. I am hoping to setup FreeBSD as my primary server platform... so I am all about more tests.
        I hate how divided all of these systems are, though. You merge the best features of all of these "open" systems together and you have a pretty nice platform.

Comment

Add another in favor of more benchmarking.

Actually I'd be interested in more general coverage of BSD to go along with benchmarking. LLVM/CLang coverage (news not benchmarking) at least once a week would be nice too.

Comment

I would also like to see more tests. I liked how you included Linux with Clang in there. If you hadn't, a lot of tests would've looked like OS benchmarks when they were in fact more like compiler benchmarks.

Comment

three file-systems?

@Michael: "three file-systems"?
              Which one is the third?

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
                ... where FreeBSD/PC-BSD has issues as far as performance goes, like for example, the filesystem benchmarks ...
                This is ZFS vs. ext4.
                A fair comparison would be ZFS vs. ZFS or ZFS vs. Btrfs.

Comment

Thank you Michael for these benchmarks. Good stuff.

I'd like to see Apache and/or webserver benchmarks for BSD. I know your software allows it, I tried but I'm too dumb to make it work... I get some tests to work but not the Apache ones.

Comment

How about actually testing something where the kernel matters? The filesystems used are too different to get any conclusion.
                    And the other computational benchmarks were mostly just testing the compiler performance...

This benchmark is mostly clang 3.4.1 vs 3.5 vs GCC 4.9.1 vs GCC 4.9.2. and not PC-BSD vs Ubuntu vs Fedora

Comment

Working...
                    X