Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Features To Look Out For With GNOME 3.16

Phoronix: Features To Look Out For With GNOME 3.16

While GNOME 3.16 isn't set to be released until March, there's a number of exciting features building up for this next desktop release and if you're ambitious you can test them now with the GNOME 3.15.x development releases...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Still hoping for Gnome 4.0 to appear and leave the console/tablet design and return to being a linux desktop. They can keep patching 3.x, it'll still be the ancestor of windows 8.

Comment

Notifications

I'm looking forward to use new notifications. IMO It's still the only downside part of user experience in gnome.

Comment

I'm ready to admit I was a stick in the mud and at first didn't grok where Gnome was going. With Gnome 3.14 it finally clicked with me.

I do still rely on a few legacy features (dash to dock, window list), but the rest of Gnome 3.14 has gelled very well with me.

I'm excited about 3.16. The changes seem very worthwile.

Comment

excuse my poor english, but it that "Redesigning of notifications" or "Notifications redesign"?

at least as far i understand one would mean work on paper design and one on actual implementation. otherwise gnome and gtk are getting better very fast. and i had zillion of complaints

as far as gnome experience goes, my whole complaint goes to AppMenu and notifications.

not only AppMenu is design failure (would look much better if application wouldn't contain icon, but rather just bolded name), it is also not obvious to any new user. not only they don't know anything about that menu, fact that non gnome applications will never use it simply makes person forgetting about it even when it would be usable. i've bwwn using gnome 3 since release and i still forget about it

saying anything bad about notifications is not needed. new notifications design that was posted is simply gorgeous.

as far as gtk? only complaint is "don't add new features, put out stable 4 first so people can rely on stable api".
          Last edited by justmy2cents; 12 January 2015, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Foursquare - Sauron's Eye?

With Foursquare activated, now integrated in Gnome, you may be simply located and tracked. Enjoy without doubt!

Comment

Ctrl+Tab tab switching of windows in GNOME.
              Unfortunately, this commit have been reverted because Ctrl+Tab is already used (only in GNOME <_<) for accessibility features...

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
                Unfortunately, this commit have been reverted because Ctrl+Tab is already used (only in GNOME <_<) for accessibility features...
                There's a new bug here about changing the old shortcut, hopefuly it gets some attention: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=738325

Comment

Originally posted by psychoticmeow View Post
                  There's a new bug here about changing the old shortcut, hopefuly it gets some attention: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=738325
                  Yep, it's me that added it I think this bug would need more community support though.
                  In comments (in other threads), some people tell that they don't care because they use Ctrl+PgUp/PgDown instead, but I see two problems with these shortcuts:
                  1. it's not standard at all (any other application outside of GNOME uses Ctrl+Tab)
                  2. used in conjunction with MRU (Most Recently Used) behavior, it would be pretty awkward I think

My opinion is that the smart move would be to change current Ctrl+Tab shortcut to another one, and thus make some room for a standard behavior of Ctrl+Tab.
                  Maybe some old GNOME users are used to Ctrl+PgUp/PgDown, but 99.5% of the people using shortcuts uses Ctrl+Tab.

Standardization also means to do some compromise, I think.
                  Last edited by Creak; 12 January 2015, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                    Still hoping for Gnome 4.0 to appear and leave the console/tablet design and return to being a linux desktop. They can keep patching 3.x, it'll still be the ancestor of windows 8.
                    You can use KDE or Mate or Cinnamon if you want Gnome 2. Gnome 3 I think is actually doing great work being an idea pot - besides Windows 8, Material Design and OSX Yosemite both ripped off Gnome 3 design and aesthetics, and that in return motivated design changes and improvement in KDE / LXQT.

I'd never use it - I like the productivity and modularity of KDE, and I much prefer QML and Qt / C++ to GTK and GObject. But its existence furthers desktop improvement everywhere, and the classical desktop metaphor is well provided by the other DEs. I much rather have Gnome be an innovator people dislike than the old days where KDE / XFCE / LXDE / Gnome all looked and felt almost exactly the same.

Comment

Working...
                    X