Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE's Krita Loses Its Main Backer

Phoronix: KDE's Krita Loses Its Main Backer

Since 2007 there has been KO GmbH (formerly known as KOfficeSource) as a support and software service company built around KOffice/Calligra in their belief that the software was "getting ready for the big time", but seven years later the situation is not so good and KO GmbH is no longer handling Krita...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I lost interest for Krita when I realised it was mainly for painting. I am a bit displeased with GIMP and wanted an alternative. However MyPaint is fine, so I didn't need another painting application.
    It is however sad that they've lsot their main backer. Just because I don't need it, it's still a loved application. I hope they'll manage.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
      I lost interest for Krita when I realised it was mainly for painting. I am a bit displeased with GIMP and wanted an alternative. However MyPaint is fine, so I didn't need another painting application.
      It is however sad that they've lsot their main backer. Just because I don't need it, it's still a loved application. I hope they'll manage.
      +1 (and 5 more characters)

Comment

It took 7 years to figure out that KOffice was always broken? Krita was the one jewel in the entire suite of apps.

Perhaps the Krita Foundation would be wise to create a Cocoa based Krita that can provide an iOS version to build their finances to state of clear solvency, while continuing with their QT/KDE version, until it is mature?

You can kickstart and sell t-shirts all you want, but until you write code for OS X/iOS you will always be struggling.

GNOME Foundation appears to be in a much healthier financial position than KDE.

Comment

It's just as capable as GIMP with image manipulation, and even offers a feature to convert color space of RGB to CMYK efficiently for desktop publishing -- something that GIMP lacks.

Comment

Krita's actually pretty capable at image editing. And it's really the only open-source painting application which meets professional concept art and illustration requirements. MyPaint is great for simple sketches and designs (and it's simple UI is great for beginners and students), but it's missing too many important features like layer masks, stroke modes, true texture brushes, and basic selection/transformation abilities.

Comment

There was no point to support Calliga Office to begin with, Krita is the most useful program in there. Its usefullness is on par with Blender, maybe abit higher because of how intuitive it is.

Comment

Originally posted by sunweb View Post
                There was no point to support Calliga Office to begin with, Krita is the most useful program in there. Its usefullness is on par with Blender, maybe abit higher because of how intuitive it is.
                Krita is the only application in Calliga Office I have ever used. I'll be sad to see it fade away in the sea of unmaintained software applications.

Gimp has more features (yes Krita has some that gimp goes not have), but I get really frustrated every single I use gimp. The windows are all over the place (even if you use single window mode) and the open/save process is a pain in the *** and it's a irritating inconvenience to do basic things like create a new folder while you're saving... I mean exporting a file. I find this problematic with all GTK applications I have ever used, except maybe galculator... you can't really count that one since it's interface is so complex people let children design something similar in a school computer science class.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
                  Krita is the only application in Calliga Office I have ever used. I'll be sad to see it fade away in the sea of unmaintained software applications.
                  There's no reason Krita would fade away. I mean, it's an Alarming Headline, sure. But it's also a bunk headline, like most alarming headlines. Krita's main backer -- well, I'd say that has always been the KDE community, which has been Krita's home for over a decade.. Next, it's the Krita Foundation, which owns the trademark and has been able to sponsor most of the fundamental development work on Krita for over a year. We'll continue that work and are trying to expand on it.

What KO has done was a) pay my salary b) work together with Intel on Krita Sketch and Krita Gemini, then bring both the Steam, c) explore the idea of commercial support for Krita for studios. Krita on Steam has been handed over to the Krita Foundation, as are the existing commercial support customers.

Are there problems? Sure. The next release is so feature-packed, so full of new stuff and fixes that it's next to impossible to clearly communicate how awesome it is. We got five-out-of-five plus Artist's Choice award in January's ImagineFX -- but that issue isn't on sale yet on the ImagineFX website. Am I neck-deep in fixing bugs for the release while I want to celebrate the end-of-year festivitivies -- well, that too.

As for suggestions to rewrite Krita in cocoa, well, that's to be expected from Marc, so that's just noise, just like the other suggestions to rewrite in C, C#, Java and Python we've received over the years. Qt is just fine for pretty much every pro application in the VFX industry, and it's fine for us as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X